Author Topic: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries  (Read 52267 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 08 October 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am a member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. If you have a query about a pharmacist, chemist, druggist, apothecary I may be able to help. Also on queries regarding early types of medicines, chemist shops, drug treatments, leeches, maggots, drug jars, etc.

Jane

Hello Jane,
Your posting interested me as I'm researching UK trade. Are you still able to help with Chemist lookups? If so please may I ask a favour?
I have in my library Kelly's Directories for Chemists & Druggists for years 1893,1919, 1930 & 1938 but cannot find one (male) O.B.DUCKETT who was a Pharmacist and Dispensing Chemist. His shop is described as The Little Pharmacy..As I cannot find him in my Kelly's and no trace in the 1901 & 1911 censuses I'm guessing he was trading in Scotland between 1919-1930. His Apparell would also suggest this period.
Would you be able perform a look up, please?
Thanks in advance!

Owen Bertram Duckett b. 1887 Margate, Kent....he was a Pharmacist Manager and Proprietor of 20, Blackheath Road, Greenwich.

NAME:    Owen Bertram Duckett
DEATH:    14 Jul 1963 - Bedfordshire, Bedford, England
CIVIL:    28 Aug 1963 - London, England

NAME:    Owen Bertram Duckett
BIRTH:    Apr 1887  - Thanet, Kent

During WW1 he was a sergeant in the RAMC earning The British War Medal and The Victory medal

On the 1891 census he is transcribed as Duckell

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Sunday 07 May 17 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
I have emailed the Guild and they only have the rare chance to check their register so, although I'm sure you are overwhelmed with requests but could I add another name please?

John SPICER mid 17thC from Northamptonshire. John was noted as an apothecary on his daughters bap in 1635

Thanks so much, no rush
Meegan
Brisbane, Australia

Offline chewboy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mark 44
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Sunday 07 May 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane
This is a kind offer
My ggf William Waller Stapleton practiced in Shefford, Bedfordshire in the 1850 and 60s.
I do know he had a number of run-ins with the local constabulary for after hours drinking.
However I can find no link to why he left the chemistry business so abruptly, and wondered whethe he jumped before he was pushed, so to speak. 
Is there any possibility you couldlok into this, please.
Best wishes
Mark ;)

GENEALOGY IS A SUCCESSFUL FAMILY BUSINESS

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beautifulred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 30 September 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My great aunts husband Alexander Macrae and his father also Alexander macrae were chemists and had chemist shop in or near Edinburgh Lady Menzies place was mentioned, between I think 1840-1930 ish if anyone can help with any information or pictures to help.
Jacqueline
Scotland Wigtownshire Reid/Lavery/Laverie/Hannah/Hannay/Boyes/Harkness/Kennedy
Greenock/Jedburgh
Weston/Leck/Mcfarlane
Glasgow/Ilse Of Bute
Mcrae/Strachan