Author Topic: Walker-Eveleigh disappearance  (Read 1585 times)

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Walker-Eveleigh disappearance
« on: Saturday 01 March 08 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Walker family of Wandsworth. We are totally baffled. My friend's grandparents seem to disappear from all records sometime around 1890 and don't reappear even though the grandmother lived until around 1930; no idea where she was living when she died or of the death date or location of the grandfather. They had five children who wound up with their maternal grandmother and then were off to boarding schools as soon as they were old enough. WHERE were the parents of these children in 1891 and 1901 - any ideas?? Have tried every method I can think of to find them in the census records but to no avail. Can't find any deaths recorded that seem to match.
We are looking for:
George Walker, b. 1848 in Topcliffe, Yorkshire
and his wife
Eliza Maria (Eveleigh) Walker, b. 1854 in Manchester, Lancashire
George was listed as a wine merchant in the 1881 census. We have a professionally done photo of George, his wife and all five children taken in 1889 or 1890 so they were all together then.
PLEASE help - this is very important to my friend as her father was one of the five children.  Any suggestions???

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Walker-Eveleigh disappearance
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 March 08 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Could George & Eliza have been working abroad
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 March 08 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenn

The children - are they all 5 are with HUNTER relatives in 1891? And are all 5 found in 1901?

Where and when was the youngest child born?

Noticed two Birth entries on FREEBMD for  the name of the 1881 son who is 8mths old, George Hunter E WALKER -  one reg  in Birmingham and the other in Wandsworth both Sep 1880....? Just curious if this is the same child in both record.........

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 March 08 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Were the parents of Eliza, Samuel Birchall Eveleigh and Sarah Maria (nee ?) Eveleigh? It appears they may be so - Samuel died in 1880 but Sarah not until 1906 - there is a record in the London Gazette in 1906 regarding her will, the executers were Walter Edward Jowitt and Henry Stanley Cooper - Henry was hauled up in court in 1911 over fraud related to Sarah's will (he was at that time the sole remaining trustee).

Also George Walker's uncle James Robinson Hunter died in 1891 - might be interesting to look at his will  as it is around the time the parents disappear. (wife Jane dies in 1906 according to Times and was still at the same address) It seems George worked for his uncle, so you would expect he'd take over the business etc - maybe James left everything to his wife and they had a family falling out?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 March 08 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: jorose

Were the parents of Eliza, Samuel Birchall Eveleigh and Sarah Maria (nee ?) Eveleigh?
==> Yes, they were; Sarah was a Fennell from Ireland.
It appears they may be so - Samuel died in 1880 but Sarah not until 1906 - there is a record in the London Gazette in 1906 regarding her will, the executers were Walter Edward Jowitt
==> Walter had been a son-in-law, married to Gertrude Eveleigh, sister of Eliza Maria. Gertrude died around the time their daughter was born in 1878 and Walter later remarried. How can I access the Gazette article?
and Henry Stanley Cooper - Henry was hauled up in court in 1911 over fraud related to Sarah's will (he was at that time the sole remaining trustee).
==> We've never heard of him so will have to do some exploring. Can we access that article?

Also George Walker's uncle James Robinson Hunter died in 1891 - might be interesting to look at his will  as it is around the time the parents disappear.
==> Yes, I figured his death had something to do with the disappearance. How can I access his will from afar (we're in Canada)?
(wife Jane dies in 1906 according to Times and was still at the same address) It seems George worked for his uncle, so you would expect he'd take over the business etc - maybe James left everything to his wife and they had a family falling out?
==> Could be.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for this most helpful reply!!!!!

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 March 08 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: AMBLY
Hi Jenn
The children - are they all 5 are with HUNTER relatives in 1891? And are all 5 found in 1901?
==> NO, none of them were with the Hunters in 1891. They were in school or with their Grandmother Sarah Eveleigh.

Where and when was the youngest child born?
==> All 5 were born in Wandsworth, between 1880 and 1889.

Noticed two Birth entries on FREEBMD for  the name of the 1881 son who is 8mths old, George Hunter E WALKER - one reg  in Birmingham and the other in Wandsworth both Sep 1880....? Just curious if this is the same child in both record.........
==> Don't know about the Birmingham one.

Cheers
AMBLY

Your time, interest and feedback are very much appreciated!

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 March 08 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: CaroleW
Could George & Eliza have been working abroad

I've wondered that, but my friend thinks it unlikely. Hopefully we'll get some answers yet! Thanks for your reply.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 March 08 02:32 GMT (UK) »
For the gazettes:
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?geotype=London

For The Times - check to see if your local library gives you access (it also used to be possible to sign up to, I think, Bedfordshire libraries online and get access via them. Not sure if that way still works).

For accessing wills: http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

Do you have the birth certificate of the youngest child? George's occupation and the family address would be interesting to have a look at, too.

Henry Stanley Cooper was a solicitor and at this point it doesn't appear he was a relative - he married Rosina Frances E. Lorrimer in 1878 and is with her and a daughter on the 1881 in Broughton In Salford.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 March 08 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Are there obits online from London's newspapers in the 1800's?