Author Topic: Two "Identities"  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Two "Identities"
« on: Tuesday 11 January 05 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Most Bulletin boards, such as RootsChat, don’t like people having two identities on the same board. In the early days of bulletin/news boards there was a plague of people dubbed “sock puppets” who use to make silly, bitter and nasty arguments – with themselves - in order to raise controversy.

I don’t want to be a sock puppet, but in browsing the boards I have found another “identity” for myself.

I seem to have first posted under the name “Abermaw” in January of last year – before the board was “officially” launched – I can’t have been impressed in the early days because until I found these old messages I had completely forgot about my original identity.

Is there any way in which I can either merge my “old” and my “new” subscription or just cancel the old one?

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Two "Identities"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

Glad you're finding RootsChat of some use now anyway. :)

Merging two usernames is possible but tricky, and has to be done manually. We can cancel the old one for you without any problems.

Hwyl,
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 20:21 GMT (UK) »
 :D :D :D

I find this interesting Trystan, as I have been considering changing my 'Identity' - is it a lot of bother for you ??

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Paul E

« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 February 05 12:35 GMT (UK) »

I find this interesting Trystan, as I have been considering changing my 'Identity' - is it a lot of bother for you ??

No Mobo, no!  I tried it and look where it got me! ;)
If you are thinking of changing your identity at least we need a poll - I like you the way you are!

Paul

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 February 05 12:42 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)

Thank you for the kind words Paul - but I wish you'd post a nice pickie of the 'real' you   ::) ::) ::)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 February 05 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

Glad you're finding RootsChat of some use now anyway. :)

Merging two usernames is possible but tricky, and has to be done manually. We can cancel the old one for you without any problems.

Hwyl,
Trystan

So if you cancell the "Old" identity what hapens to the three postings made under it. Are they deleted or are they just archived as being from a person no longer "contactable"? Two of the messages are a response to queries so it would be sad if they were deleted one is an "interests" posting which I would prefer to post again using my current identity.

My Old identity is Abermaw (where I was born) my current one is Dolgellau (where I was brought up)

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 05 15:01 GMT (UK) »
If it is only three messages that you posted old username, then wouldn't it be simpler to re-post those messages with your new username ?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 March 05 21:43 GMT (UK) »

...........................You could just copy and paste !

Mobo, please do not change your name, you can always change your picture to suit your mood ;D

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk