Author Topic: Linton, Cambridgeshire  (Read 6231 times)

Offline ray in Oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Linton, Cambridgeshire
« on: Tuesday 11 January 05 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me with tracing a Joseph Kitteridge/Ketteridge b. abt 1780, married to Martha, and was removed by Settlement Order in 1817 from Linton back to Hamlet of lBartlow.  With him were his wife Martha and 5 chn. Sarah, Eliza, Robert, and Josiah and John (twins).  I cannot trace him correctly after this time.  To my knowledge he did not show up in Bartlow, and believe that he returned to Linton later.  Any suggestions very welcome.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Linton, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 17:32 GMT (UK) »
A good website to start is http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html
but unfortunately I can't see any of your names on it.
I assume this is the Joseph Kitteridge who married Martha Hill on 16 Oct 1809 at St George Southwark (purely on the basis that some of the children you mention had Hill as their middle name) - per the IGI.

Is there any chance they could have returned to Southwark? I hope not as from experience finding anyone in the censuses there is a nightmare! But at least 2 of Joseph's children seem to have moved to London:

I have found a John Kitteridge born Linton aged 55 in 1871 living at Coach and Horses Yard, High St  Hackney, with wife Mary Anne aged 53 born Herne Bay Kent and daughter Jane Emma age 21 b Hounslow Middlesex (GR10/327/33A) which fits with the IGI for the christening of John Ketteridge in 1816.

Robert Hill Kitteridge aged 58 born Cambs was living in South Hackney with wife Ann aged 41, and children Robert 16, Eleanor Jane 13, Henry 11; Albert 5; Sidney 2. All bar Robert snr were born at Hackney. Unfortunately the census image is not available so I don't have more details. Again this looks like the right Robert.

But I can find no trace of Joseph subsequent to 1817.  If you have any other info let us know.

regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

Joseph Ketteridge (bap 2 Jan 1780, Ashdon, Essex) was my 6x great uncle.  I hadn't traced him at all, but would be very interested to find out more about his life and descendants if it comes your way.

Regards

Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 05 10:16 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is looking up Linton records I'd like some information on Robert and Rebecca Ward who were living there in 1870's.  Two children Robert born c1874 and John born c1875 at Linton.  Rebecca is a widow and publican in Hauxton in 1881 so I'm wondering if husband Robert died and buried at Linton or after move to Hauxton.
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline kyliemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 01:00 GMT (UK) »
ATTN cmcmull

Have just looked at the Linton Parish Registers for you:

Robert William Ward of Linton Age 45 was buried on 19 Aug 1876.

Baptisms

8 Aug 1875 Robert William Ward of Robert William & Rebecca of Linton Farm, bailif at Gryp Farm

8 Oct 1876 John Frederic Ward of Robert William & Rebecca of Linton, Foreman (decd)

Let me know if you need anything else checked.

Kylie

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kylie
This has helped me toward verifying that I have the family of Rebecca nee Wenham and I also have record from St Caths index of an Emma Wenham married to a William Rayner in Jun Qtr 1871 at Linton so I'd appreciate if there is any more information available on marriage record to determine whether the Emma came from Wendy or if it gives father's name as I couldn't find them in 1881 census but believe they could be my great great grandfather's sisters.
Thanks a lot
Carmel in Brisbane Australia
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline kyliemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carmel,

I could not find a marriage in 1871 for Emma Wenham and William Rayner.

The only entry for the name Wenham is:

Married on 27 October 1650 Thomas Wenham & Susan Rand

There were a few for Rayner (Here are a couple of them):

Marriage on 1 October 1876 Charles Cottage (bac) & Emma Rayner (sp) of Balsham.

Baptism on 7 September 1890 of Allice Dorothy Rayner
daughter of Charles & Elizabeth of Mill Lane, coach man of F S Nichols

I also have the Hadstock Parish Registers - I will check these for you also. I have found alot of entries in these that should have been in the Linton PR's. Hadstock is right next door to Linton.

I am also from Brisbane. Feel free to contact me directly at kylie_mcdermott@hotmail.com

Kylie

Offline ozmouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 March 05 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Loads of Wenham's on the Castle Camps web site:

1871 Apr 27

Castle Camps
(Marriage)
   Emma Wenham sp CC

Parent: George lab

~~~~~~~~

William Rayner lab bac CC

Parent: William shepherd

Notes:   
Witnesses:   Martha Rayner Henry Cooke

http://www.rd29.net/cc/index.htm

I have one Wenham in my Tree but not a direct link.

Chris
In overcast Brissie

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Chris.  The Castle Camp Wenhams were not connected as far as I can establish although probably related further back.  I will get to it one day but for now I can probably say the Emma who married William Rayner is not the one I'm looking for.
Carmel
Its still overcast but I've been home near Gympie and back and still not enough rain for the garden.