Author Topic: Sybilla Sabyna Lane (nee Houseal)  (Read 22059 times)

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sybilla Sabyna Lane (nee Houseal)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 22:05 GMT (UK) »
How exciting to find this! I have to say I was always a little sceptical about the information in Brantz Mayer's book as obviously he had just got it from other relatives about 80 years later and some of the other information is just plain wrong. But this is wonderful. Thank you so much, Stewart and you too, Riwia, for pursuing this line of enquiry.

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hillary,

I'm thrilled too.  It even ties in with the date of birth as she died the day before her birthday :(

It will be interesting to see what other information is on Jersey.  Now I just need to win lotto so I can visit that gorgeous church and stroll the streets where they lived.

http://www.stbreladeschurch.com/

:D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 March 08 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Well lots of news but not all good I'm afraid.

I managed to do a bit of research today and sadly there is no record of a marriage for JEL and LMB in St Brelade. The index covers the period 1560 - 1900 and in fact no Lane's got married in that time at that church. I then looked at all the other Parish records up until 1842 working on the assumption that as they weren't on the 1841 census they must have left the island. Again I drew a blank. So you'd better cancel the flight!

But.... there is good news. First JEL and MMB had a son. George Edward Lane was baptized 18th Mar 1838 at St Helier Church. His parents were listed as John Edward Lane, a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and Lauretta Maud. The God Parents were given (strangely) as the Father - proxy for George Dawkins Lane (Uncle) and Mrs Hannah Nesbitt. First time I have come across a proxy God Parent.

Now regards Sybilla. As I said, burial records are rather sketchy, particularly as around this time graveyards could be privately owned and no records exist. However I have located her grave in Green St. Cemetery, St. Helier. This cemetery has not been used for many years and in fact part of it is now a multi-storey carpark. SSL is buried in grave E8 of this cemetery and that part still exists. I visited the cemetery but it is very overgrown and the stone must be lying down and the area is covered in long grass. Some kind person though has transcribed all of the memorials and SSL's says (note the spelling):

Come Lord...

Sacred to the memory of Sibylla Sabina Lane widow of the late Tho. Lane Esq and daughter of the late Rev. B.M. Holseal of Halifax, Nova Scotia and died 3rd January 1837 aged 75 years

and also her sister

Amelia Dawkins widow of the late Captain George Dawkins who died 1834 aged 78 years and was buried in St. Saviours Chruchyard.

Where did you get the details baout the St Brelades marriage?

I'll let you think about that and decide where you would like to go next.

Stewart

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Wow - again Stewart  :o

Your efforts are Herculean! Boy do I appreciate them too!

You have accomplished so much in such a short time.   ;D

It's a poop about JEL & LMB, I'll have to see if the family have other information.

The find of the inscriptions for Sybilla & her sister are amazing, that is wonderful news and something more for us to work with.  George Dawkins Lane is from whom I am descended.  I'll have to see if we know who Hannah Nesbitt is.  That is the joy of Family Tree stuff, as one puzzle clears up another one begins.

On behalf of my fellow Lane / Houseal family, thank you so much for your fantastic help.  It's people like you who make the whole thing such a great experience!

Thank you sooooooooo much!

Riwia
New Zealand
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 March 08 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

After your great information I set about trying to find some pictures of Green Street Cemetery, but so far no joy.  Do you know of a site that would have any?

I did find this rather interesting note:

Roseville Street is crossed next by La Route du Fort, built in the late 1960’s to access the new tunnel under Fort Regent. Cross the busy main road by the pedestrian lights, continue along Roseville Street for 200 metres then turn left down a narrow alley into Green Street cemetery. The grass and wild flowers in this atmospheric town graveyard are not cut until they have seeded, lending an air of natural untidiness in the early summer. The very imperial memorial in the far left-hand corner is for an Honorary Police Officer stabbed to death by a lady of ill repute, crying ‘Je suis stabbé’ as he fell.

http://jersey.com/walking/parishwalks/PDF/Walk4_StHelier.pdf

Sybilla is in some very interesting company  ;)

P.S I just found a picture taken by E Smith in 2000

http://tinyurl.com/2tlpgq

I hope shrinking the link worked....

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Best if I take a photograph for you.

Yes she was the madam of a brothel!!

Stewart

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic work, Stewart, and thank you so much.

As for the Lane-Bluett marriage, sometime ago I asked for a lookup and Mike E replied confirming that it had indeed taken place at St Brelades Parish Church but he said the parish register was not available as it was undergoing restoration.  Here's the link

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,214083.0.html

Now I'm going back to smiling about Sibylla (and Amelia). It's wonderful to have that part of the puzzle cleared up.

Hilary (one of Sibylla's great great great granddaughters)

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Stewart, our posts just crossed. I'd love to see a picture of the cemetery too. Thank you so much for your detective work. Where Sibylla ended up had seemed like an unsolvable mystery. Just shows you that there is still all that information out there waiting to be found.

Would there be newspaper reports of the deaths? I know I found some of the other sisters' deaths recorded in The Gentleman's Register.

Thank you once again

Hilary

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 March 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
 8)

My goodness!  A Reverend's daughter and a fallen woman - death makes equals of us all.

Thanks again Stewart for your outstanding efforts.

;D

There's always a cup of tea, well coffee anyway, for you here in New Zealand.

:D