Author Topic: 1885 Inquest in Hayfield/Glossop  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1885 Inquest in Hayfield/Glossop
« on: Tuesday 04 March 08 01:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any source of information about the death of my GGFather Joseph Littlewood, who died on 16 Feb 1885 in Glossop, aged 34.

The death certificate shows "Visitation of God", so presumably it was a sudden death (he was aged only 34) and he was away from home (Barrow-in-Furness) but I don't know why. An inquest was held the next day (17 Feb 1885) by the "Deputy Coroner for the Hundred of High Peak".

I have read on some other threads in RootsChat that the practice of retaining coroners' records varied from district to district - does anyone know the situation in Glossop, or who should I contact to find out?

Failing that, I have read somewhere that inquests were often reported in local newspapers - can anyone suggest what might be the best source for that, or what the local papers would have been in 1885?

And of course if any kind Derbyshire RootsChatters want to do any of the legwork themselves and look up any of the relevant information to save my trailing down from Fife, so much the better!!!!!! :)
ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon
DUNBARTONSHIRE: Smith, Russell, Donald, Meiklem
GLASGOW: Guthrie
RENFREWSHIRE: Gilmour, Pollok, Urie
IRELAND: McIlhenny, McIlhaney
LANCASHIRE: Swainson, Baines
YORKSHIRE: Littlewood, Bastow/Barstow/Bairstow, Nussey, Haley, Wilkinson
WILTSHIRE: Marsh, Golding/Goulding/Golden/Goulden
DEVON: Perry, Hurford
BERKSHIRE: Chandler, Langley, Surman
AUSTRALIA: Poole, Surman, Miatke, Baum
GERMANY: Miatke, Baum

Offline epona100

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1885 Inquest in Hayfield/Glossop
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 August 11 23:02 BST (UK) »
My ancestors (Hadfield) settled in Barrow from Glossop in the late 1800's. I remember reading in one of the history books that Glossop had a paper mill and when they opened the one in Barrow some of the skilled workers came up from the Gossop mill as a ready made skilled workforce. Did your ancestor work in the Barrow mill? It's a bit remote, but there might be a connection that explains why he was visiting Glossop.

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 01:46 BST (UK) »
Good left-field suggestion, epona,  but it doesn't fit the known facts I'm afraid!

Joseph was a hammerman in the Barrow steelworks and his family came originally from West Yorkshire, so I haven't yet established what was the connection with Glossop.
ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
Could Joseph have been visiting Glossop as a result of a friendship with one of the (former) Glossop families?

Graham
(also Hadfield but I suspect a different line as I know of no connection to Barrow).

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

1871 census Joseph Littlewood is living in Barrow, Parish of Dalton, Lancashire
aged 19 occupation Hammer Man, gives place of birth as Bradford Yorkshire.

By 1881 he has married Maria Heywood Sept. 1774 Ashton 8d 852,
they are living in Hadfield, Derbyshire where she was born.  His occupation
is given as "out of work Contractor" his age is given as 28, born Thongbridge Yorkshire.

Mar 1890 Hayfield 7b 961, Maria then marries a Thomas Harden 1891 living in Hollinworth Cheshire Census RG12/3297 F 187 Pg 3, with Emily & Eliza Littlewood born Hadfield.

From this you can only assume, he married and then went to live in Hadfield
the place his wife was born.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline glossoplass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 21:58 GMT (UK) »
If the inquest was held in Glossop it would be reported in the Glossop Chronicle for 1885, although I would imagine it would have been at Barrow. I will look at the Glossop Chronicle archive for you.

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 01:56 GMT (UK) »
By chance I came across this thread from six years ago, and it might be worthwhile to update it, in case anyone is browsing through "Littlewood" posts to find information.

I am now satisfied that the Joseph who died in Glossop in 1885 is NOT "my" Joseph, but is probably the “Joseph Littlewood” recorded in the 1881 census as living with his wife Maria in Hadfield, Glossop, and referred to by Spendlove. The fact that Maria is recorded as marrying again in 1890 adds strength to this viewpoint.

However, the Joseph that Spendlove refers to as being a Hammerman in the Barrow-in-Furness area in the 1871 census is still living there in the 1881 census, married to Sarah. This is "my" Joseph, my gt-grandfather, and it would seem he died there in Feb 1884, according to the Furness Burial Records on FindMyPast. - although to be fair, I have not yet been able to confirm this with any BMD data.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.