Author Topic: 1841/1851 Census - BOWEN  (Read 5651 times)

Offline galante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841/1851 Census - BOWEN
« on: Tuesday 11 January 05 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please look for the following on the 1841/1851 census - they should be in Kington - perhaps the Kingswood area - Martha Bowen born abt 1809 - John Bowen born Kington abt 1805/1808 child Ambrose  born abt 1835. Thank you very much.
Bowen hereford bradshaw chell toft henk staffordshire wilson skipton yorkshire

Offline Mikey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 22:06 GMT (UK) »
From the 1851 census index:

BOWEN   Anne   4   Kington   2492   315b
BOWEN   Caroline   8   Kington   2492   315b
BOWEN   George   16M   Kington   2492   315b
BOWEN   John   11   Kington   2492   315b
BOWEN   John   47   Kington   2492   315b
BOWEN   Martha   36   Kington   2492   315b
BOWEN   Mary   14   Kington   2492   315b

Mikey

Offline galante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mikey - Brilliant - its given me family members I did not have before. ;D
Thanks for restoring my faith in Herefordshire, I thought it had gone to sleep! :D

Offline SteveSims

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
  • English + Irish + Welsh + Scots + German = Aussie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 February 05 12:36 GMT (UK) »
In the 1841 census they are in a part of parish of Kington called Lilwall. Kingswood Common (the place you suggested) is thereabouts. Their exact address is Brick Kiln which has about 17 households.

HO107/423 / Lilwall, Pembers Oak & Chickwood / folio 10 / page 14
Brick Kiln
John Bowen / 35 / Labourer / Y
Martha Bowen / 26 / / Y
Ambrose Locket / 8 / / Y
Elizabeth Bowen / 7 / / Y
Mary do / 4 / / Y
John do / 10 months / / Y
Elizabeth Minton / 65 / / Y

I just can't make out the name given for Ambrose. I'm fairly sure of Lo??et but can't find anything in the pages much like the middle letters. Initial L pretty certain, and the last letter more likely t than l (one or two other t's uncrossed, but all l's appear to be looped).

Cheers
Steve
My English ancestry from Berkshire Buckingham Cumberland Gloucester Hereford Hampshire Lancashire London Somerset Staffordshire Warwick Wiltshire Worcester Yorkshire ... so far

Offline SteveSims

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 05 13:01 GMT (UK) »
PS Just checked the IGI:

Ambrose LOCKET bapt 01 Dec 1832, Brilley, Hereford. Mother Martha LOCKET.

PPS yet another afterthought:

John BOWEN & Martha LOCKET marr 14 Oct 1833, Kington, Hereford.

Ambrose having the "wrong" name turns out to be very handy...

Cheers
Steve
My English ancestry from Berkshire Buckingham Cumberland Gloucester Hereford Hampshire Lancashire London Somerset Staffordshire Warwick Wiltshire Worcester Yorkshire ... so far

Offline galante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 February 05 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Dear Steve,

Thank you so much, this is wonderful, I had no idea that Ambrose was born a Lockett.   Great detective work I suppose its pushing it to ask who Elizabeth Minton was, can you get your crystal ball out and let me know.  Seriously though, I have Elizabeth Bowen - who I have never heard of before now, I suppose she must have died.

Thanks again Sandra.

Offline SteveSims

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Funny you should mention Elizabeth Minton - at first I though she was probably Martha's mother, but the Locket clues seemed to rule this out.

Of course Elizabeth could still be mother to either John or Martha if she herself had married again and so changed her name. Or perhaps an aunt?

The interesting thing is that Elizabeth should be a family member, if the census enumerator exactly followed the rules - but no guarantees on that!

The enumerators' directions include: "At the end of the names of each family draw a line thus / as in the Example. At the end of the names of the inmates in each house draw a double line thus // "

So there should be a double line between households, and a single line between families within households. Mostly they seem to have done this up to a point - eg. servants usually separated from "the family", but often not from each other.

Anyway, there is no slash between the Bowens and Elizabeth Minton - so at the least she's not ruled out as a family member.

Cheers
Steve

Offline galante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve for this useful piece of information, I am learning all the time.  Martha's mother and father were Samuel Price and Elizabeth Lockett. Martha seems to have taken the name Lockett - so when looking for a possible remarriage for Elizabeth ,I have looked under Price and Lockett to no avail.  I will have to put my thinking cap on. Thanks again for all your help. Sandra

Offline galante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought - did any of the above info give a birth place for John Bowen ? I'm not altogether sure whether he was born in Kington, although I know his wife was. Thanks. :)