Author Topic: Is there any other way to check for burials  (Read 2383 times)

Offline maple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there any other way to check for burials
« on: Tuesday 04 March 08 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have two books, Other Stirlingshire Burials Pre 1855, and West Stirlingshire Monumental Inscriptions Pre 1855.  Despite having many relatives who lived in Stirlingshire, so far I have found none of them in these two books. ???

I find this very frustrating and wonder if there are any others sources of Pre 1855 Burials, that I am unaware of.
One of my frustrations is of one of my ancestors, William Kay/Key born in Monievaird, Perth, circa 1770. He was married to Margaret Watson.  They had a number of children,all in Denny, from about 1800 to 1818.  He is listed on the 1851 census in Denny, as 81 years old, and since he is not on the 1861 census and I cannot find him in Statutory records, I assume that he died between 1851 and 1855. I wish that he had the consideration to hang on for a few more years. >:(

Is there anything that I am missing?

Regards

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any other way to check for burials
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maple,

Which Churchyards have you looked at?

There's not only Denny Parish, but Dennyloanhead and Dunipace as well. There is also another Churchyard (right in the centre of Denny) which the Mitchells completely missed - it's called Broompark.

I've photographed all the stones in all of them so leave it with me and I'll have a look through all the files tomorrow.

The pre-1855 MI books are a great resource but unfortunately they're not particularly accurate. They obviously didn't have the luxury of digital cameras and 'touch-up' software back when these places were originally transcribed.

You could also have a look in Larbert Churchyard. It's only a couple of miles away and I know there's Denny families buried there.

There is a cemetery in Denny but it wasn't established till the 1880's so he won't be buried there.

I'll post anything I find.

Anne

Offline maple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Thank you for responding. I have only looked in those two books.  Most of my ancestors were not rich, and were unlikely to have put up any monuments. :(  I was wondering if there are any more burial records around. If not, I wonder why they didn't keep more records of deaths back then.

Regards

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 March 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
No luck I'm afraid Maple - there's no sign of him anywhere.

Falkirk Archives have Accounts for Denny Old Parish Church which include mortcloth rentals. The dates given for these are 1820 - 1831 but I'll keep a note of the names you are searching and have a wee look anyway.

With a bit of luck they might have got the dates wrong!!  ;D

Anne

Offline maple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 March 08 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

Thanks for looking. I really didn't expect much, because I have yet to find the burial of any of my ancestors.  ???
 It is too bad that William Kay didn't hang in there for a few more years, at least until 1855. Well at least he stayed long enough for the 1851 census and I know where he was born. I just don't know the names of his parents.

Thanks again

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 January 18 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne:

Your post from some time ago interests me.

Relatives of mine does not appear in death records on Scotlands People or any other sites I have accessed.

I have some posts in the Perthshire section noted as Cemeteries Near Doune.
I have had good assistance from this post but no information regarding the initial intent of my posting, which is trying to locate a grave marker for my ancestors.

William Anderson thought to be born 1810 - 1815 and died before 24 March 1846.
Spouse Janet Stewart born 1814 at Dunblane and as best I can determine died after 1891 census.

If you are interested in helping me, I will forward you additional details.

Hoping to hear from you,
Dave Anderson
Anderson, Stewart, Donaldson, Wright