Author Topic: William Mewburn-Wykham Park  (Read 7752 times)

Offline minimaiden2710

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad Arthur Grubb
    • View Profile
Re: William Mewburn-Wykham Park
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 16:25 BST (UK) »
HI, 
Thank you for replying to my post.
Your message has intrigued me.  I don't know anything about this part of their life.
I haven't actually done any research for a long time now but hopefully this can get me motivated again.
I will help you in anyway I can and any info you may have would be gratefully received.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kind Regards
Sarah XXX
Durham - Burnett
Cumbria (Carlisle) - Burnett, Grubb, Cook, Gash,
Berkshire - Grubb
S Yorkshire - Tew
Derbyshire-Stoppard,Hallows/Hallas,Chadwick,Dunk(s), Jones, Wolstenholme, Armstrong
Sussex - Smith
N. Yorks - Mewburn, Tew
Oxfordshire - Mewburn, Grubb
Warwickshire - Tew
Hampshire - Bailey, Cousins/Couzens - Adams
Lancashire - Wolstenholme, Jackson

Offline LochAwe33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for replying to my message.

I have read the string of messages and understand you are related to William Mewburn Seniors' wife, Maria Mewburn nee Maria Tew.

I'm not sure what you know and were you'd like me to start, but I'd be more than happy to share with you what I know and perhaps you'd indulge me a little by allowing me to explain what it is I am looking for myself.

I have some information and images that relate to my interest in the Mewburns and have have found out quite a lot about them over the last 12 months following my purchase of a former Mewburn holiday home built on the shores of Loch Awe near Kilchrenan in Scotland which was known as "Achnacarron House". It was actually built after the death of William Mewburn Senior (husband of Maria) by his eldest child, William Mewburn (I shall refer to him as Wm Junior), which throws up an anomaly as I noticed one of the messages in your string states: "William Tew Mewburn, born 1845 (he died shortly afterwards)". If this was the case, I am a little confised as to who the William Mewburn was who succeeded his father death in 1900 inheriting his fortune and building Achnacarron House in 1908? In any event perhaps you can throw some light on this issue and share some of your information on the Family?

In the 20's and 30's Wm Jnr's grandchildren used to attend Achnacarron for holidays and Desmond Williams and Meg Mewburn, the daughter of Wm Jnr's son "Guy Mewburn" are referred to in some historical notes in my possession written by Desmond as a way to retain an accurate record of what was what back then.

From my angle I am keen to establish a record of the family dating from William Mewburn Senior onwards, recollections and facts relating to the family, images and details of the house and Scottish estate in particular as I would like to re-establish the mansion house and ornamental gardens at Achnacarron over the next few years.

I look forward to hearing from you and to sharing further information that I hope we will both find useful in our respective quests.

Kind regards
Ken

Offline minimaiden2710

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 April 10 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Thanks for your reply.  I'm going to have to read it a good few times to digest all the fascinating information that you have given me.  If you will be able to bare with me for a few days, I need to get out all my information and refresh my memory.  Like I said before, quite a long time has passed since I researched any Family history....so many brick walls.
I actually live in Belgium so I can't make all the trips to the various corners of the UK that I need to easily.
I am actually going away this weekend but I can assure you that upon my return I will be in contact with you and pass on any information that I have.
Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful info with me.
Kind Regards
Sarah
Durham - Burnett
Berkshire - Grubb
S Yorkshire - Tew
Derbyshire-Stoppard,Hallows/Hallas,Chadwick,Dunk(s), Jones, Wolstenholme, Armstrong
Sussex - Smith
N. Yorks - Mewburn, Tew
Warwickshire - Tew

Offline LochAwe33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 April 10 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara,
Thanks for the update, look forward to hearing from you, and in the meantime I will collate what I know. I have a lot of information on the Mewburns, most of it are articles that I would need to scan and send as attachments. The problem for me is not that I have too little information, but rather that I have so much its a case of where to start.
Kind regards
Ken

Offline minimaiden2710

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 May 10 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you.  I've been searching out my bits of information on the Tew side of the family.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot regarding Maria Tew as she wasn't my direct line but I'll give you what I have.
I was originally given a copy of our family tree when my Dad died.  The lady who researched it travelled all over the country to find information.
It  may be easier if you could send me a personal message with your e-mail address and then I can scan the papers I have and let you have them.  There is rather a lot of typing so it would be much easier this way.  I'll send you my e-mail also.
Kind Regards
Sarah
Durham - Burnett
Berkshire - Grubb
S Yorkshire - Tew
Sussex - Smith
N. Yorks - Mewburn, Tew
Warwickshire - Tew

Offline cath53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 August 10 22:38 BST (UK) »
I have just checked my database of burials at the General Cemetery at Lister Lane, Halifax where I remembered that there were several Mewburn burials. The young children who died in Halifax are buried in grave number 363/364, a vault grave. Please contact me if you would like further details.
BARRATT family of Bulwick and Glapthorne, Northants
Walker family, Stainland, West Yorkshire
Hatton family, Lightcliffe nr. Halifax
Edmunds family Northants, Oxon, Yorks
Mangan family Manchester and Sheffield
Pritchard family London and Australia
Larman and Childerstone family, Enfield, Middlesex
Coombs and Artingstall, Bowdon, Cheshire

Offline isabelmark1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 September 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather Samuel Aitken was a guest at Wykham House at the time of the 1881 Census (Sun 3rd April). He came  with his wife Mary. The Census names the owner of Wykham House as William Mewbern and gives his occupation as retired stock broker.
The other guest that weekend was another 'timber merchant' (William Sutcliffe Ogden).
The other people in the house were: his 34 year old unmarried daughter (Sophia); 1 house keeper; 1 ladies maid; 5 domestic servants; 1 cook; 1 footman; 2 grooms; 1 gardener.
Clearly he was well off!
At about this time Samuel Aitken was involved in or considering making his company (Bland & Co from Cardiff) a PLC.
One wonders how the conversations went.
I gather that Mr Ogden later married Sophia Mewbern.