Author Topic: marriage edward emanuel ashe & sarah argue c1890  (Read 4751 times)

Offline JULIEKH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
marriage edward emanuel ashe & sarah argue c1890
« on: Tuesday 11 January 05 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking for anything that can help me go back further. All I know is that Edward Emanuel Ashe was originally from Lithuania and married sarah Argue about 1890/97. He was born in 1875. They had amongst others 2 daughters( Georgina & Gladys) one born in Limerick and another in Cork. There was a son called William who died when young and possibly 2 other sisters (one poss Mabel). Rumour has it that one sister ended up in a mental home. Edward Emanuel also known as Emile was a jeweller who had a shop in O'Connell St Dublin - I think . Any advice on where to start would be much appreciated

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: marriage edward emanuel ashe & sarah argue c1890
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 January 05 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I would suggest
- look in the Dublin directories for Jewellers
- Check for their marriage in the marriage indexes at the Dublin GRO or on film at your local family history centre
- lok for them on the 1901 census in Dublin. National Archives or on film at your local family history centre

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline JULIEKH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 January 05 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help I'm really new to Irish records and didn't know where to start. I'm not really sure where they married as 2 of the daughters I know of were born in totally different places one in Limerick & 1 in Cork. Can you search census by name or do you need to know where they lived ?
Any advice is most welcome
Julie

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 January 05 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can you post the names, dates and places to give others a better idea of where and when? When was he in Dublin for instance?

Kate

Offline JULIEKH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 January 05 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate

Thanks for your interest. I have very little to go on but what I have from "family hearsay" is as follows

Edward Emanuel Ash(e) was born in Latvia around 1875. I have guessed the date from his memorial card when he was cremated on 24/9/1946 "aged 71years" in London. i understand he trained as a jeweller for 6/7 years in Switzerland whether this was before he came to Ireland or after I don't know. He was also knnown as Emile ( a pet name or otherwise not sure)

His 2 children I have definite info on are:
1. Gladys born 30/6/1898 in Cork. She didnt marry and lived until she was 101!
2. Georgina born 31/6/1904 William St Limerick. She married and Indian law student (at Trinity College Dublin)
in December 1928. I understand her mother (Sarah Argue) died when she was a child - so Im guessing somewhere between 1905 and 1915.

There was a son William who died at the age of 7 when he fell from a swing.
Another daughter Mabel was cut off for marrying beneath her to a vicar and came I think to England. I dont know if she was older or younger than Gladys & Georgina. Rumour has it there was another daughter who ended up in a mental home.

Emanuel Ashe had a jewellers shop on O'Connel St and I think was quite well to do - when exactly this was I dont know but assume sometime between the girls births and Georgina's marriage in 1928.

With Gladys birth definitely correct the marriage I'm looking for should be pre 1898. I dont think Sarah Argue was a Catholic as the children were not brought up as Catholics.

Sorry but that is all I have to go on - any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated. I am in England so any sources would need to be available over here.
Thanks for your time
Julie

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 January 05 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Most of the suggestions I have are tough to do long distance.

1. Search for the birth and death of William in the indexes. This is for an address and date.
2. Search for the birth of Mabel in the indexes. This is for an address and date.
3. Search for the marriage to Sarah Argue/Ash(e) in the indexes.
4. If you get an address close to 1901 or 1911, search the census. This is available on film at your local family history centre.
5. Search for the jewellers in the Dublin directories at the time. I think these are only available in Ireland.

Perhaps you  could get a cheap ryanair flight?

Kate

Offline JULIEKH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 January 05 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kate

Its not made easy in Ireland is it? How do the Americans track their roots!!!!

Think I'll have to succumb to a trip at some point - I'm determined to get back further - why were our ancestors so secretive? Gladys & georgina both lived to a good age but family skeltons must have stopped them talking!! Their secretiveness only makes me more curious!!..............
can you buy Irish census on CD anywhere?

Thanks for your help
Julie

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 January 05 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The census is not for sale anywhere currently. There are plans talked about but don't hold your breath!

Kate