Author Topic: Harkin/McCallion marriage please  (Read 62454 times)

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
Re: Harkin/McCallion marriage please
« Reply #108 on: Sunday 07 March 21 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage for James Harkin and Sarah Doherty April 21 1938 ballyliffin for him  and Altashane Carndonagh for her. James father Patrick Harkin and Daniel Doherty witness John McColgan and Cassie Nelson.
Cassie was my mothers God mother.
So any decendents of James and Sarah that  can help me move forward on this one cheers little annie
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Sunday 07 March 21 18:07 GMT (UK) »

I have a marriage for James Harkin and Sarah Doherty April 21 1938 ballyliffin for him  and Altashane Carndonagh for her. James father Patrick Harkin and Daniel Doherty witness John McColgan and Cassie Nelson.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1938/08879/5211008.pdf

Ballyliffin townland
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/inishowen-east/clonmany/ballyliffin/ballyliffin/

Altashane townland
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/inishowen-east/donagh/carndonagh/altashane/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Monday 08 March 21 18:48 GMT (UK) »
I have finally cracked the relationship to the Devlin family with the help of a family decendent, Michael McCallions sister Catherine married Michael Devlin and set up home in Foffenagh
                                                                                                                 Little annie
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 26 August 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
I have finally cracked the relationship to the Devlin family with the help of a family decendent, Michael McCallions sister Catherine married Michael Devlin and set up home in Foffenagh
                                                                                                                 Little annie

I just noticed this post. Michael Devlin and Catherine McCallion of Foffenagh are my great great grandparents. I'm descended from their daughter Fanny Devlin who married Owen Bradley of Meenamullaghan.

Now I'll go back and read it all.....:)

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Friday 27 August 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Mab
Anything you know about the Mccallions would be great etc are you on ancestry?  Cheers little annie

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Friday 27 August 21 16:33 BST (UK) »
 Hello

Yes I have a private tree on Ancestry. Here is a wee bit of what I know about the McCallions. Still a work in progress.

I suspected and now have established that Catherine McCallion was the daughter of Philip McCallion of Meendacalliagh (aka Turk) via DNA matches.

Philip McCallion is on the 1831 Tithe Applotment in Meendacalliagh along with a John McCallion. Don't know who John is as yet.

Philip was dead by the time the 1858 Griffiths was taken as his name has been replaced by that of Michael McCallion as his rep. There is also a James McCallion and John McCallion. I have the original page of the Griffiths book showing this change very kindly given to me by a descendant of Michael.

Just as an FYI...."Reps of," is an abbreviation for “Representatives of” and is used to indicate that the individual named in the valuation was dead at the time it was taken and that his or her legal interest in the holding was being temporarily represented by a family member etc.

I have found the following children so far for Philip McCallion.

1) Michael McCallion born about 1823 and died 04 Mar 1910 in Meendacalliagh age 87, married. Informant: Philip McCallion, son, Meendacalliagh.. He married Sarah "Sally" McLaughlin. Sarah was born about 1842 and died 15 Dec 1913 age 71, widow. Informant: Kate McDaid, 38 Rossville Street, Derry. Kate was her daughter.

2) Anne McCallion born abut 1804 and died in Meendacalliagh on 01 Mar 1869. Age 65, single. Informant: Mick McCallion, householder, Meendacalliagh. Still not sure about her but she is a possible sibling of Michael McCallion as he was the informant at her death.

3) John McCallion born about 1811 died 05 Feb 1890 in Meendacalliagh age 79 Married. Informant: Philip McCallion, son, Meendacalliagh. He is the John in the 1858 Griffiths I mentioned above.
John married a Rose ?? Various researchers believe her surname is Donaghey but as yet no proof. Rose died 28 Feb 1896 age 87, widow. Informant: Cassie McCallion, present at death, Meendacalligh. I believe Cassie is probably the wife of Rose's son Philip McCallion.

4) Catherine McCallion born about 1815 and died 31 Oct 1897 at the Rock (Foffenagh) age 81, married. Informant: Michael Devlin most probably her husband. Michael Devlin was born about 1820 and died Rock age 86, widower. Informant: Philip Devlin, present at death, Rock. Philip was his son.

There are probably other children for Philip yet to be discovered.

Mary Ann aka mab

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 17:58 BST (UK) »
Just when you think you have all the family members another one pops up!  Got no idea how i missed this one?  Joseph Harkin born January 29 1914 to James & fanny, i cannot find a marriage or death so what happened to Joseph is the question as i have never known his name mentioned cheers little Annie

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 21:26 BST (UK) »
I don't have him either. I haven't looked at that family in ages.

BTW I have a Seragh Harkin as a child of James and Fanny....no idea where I got that from??? Must take a look and see who she is.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 21:51 BST (UK) »
Ah I did find a baptism for a Sarah Harkin but not a birth and she married James Doherty in 1922 :)