Author Topic: Where is St Margaret ? Middlesex 1810  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Vonnie M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Where is St Margaret ? Middlesex 1810
« on: Sunday 09 March 08 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there all researchers,

I have struck a bit of a dead end. Mainly because I can't get my head around where my ancestor was born.  Thomas DAY b. 1810 St Margaret, Middlesex. Couldn't find him on the 1841 census but on later census results it says born City of London......

So - I can't go looking in parish registers until I find out where to look !

Probably doesn't help that I am researching from Australia... all that standing on one's head  :D

All help you could give would be great.

cheers
Von

Offline blodwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Colin
    • View Profile
Re: Where is St Margaret ? Middlesex 1810
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 March 08 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vonnie,

been g*****ng, and found that there was/is a St. Margarets in Westminster.

I would try there and see what you come up with.

Viv
Gywnedd/Caernarvonshire: Roberts, Evans;
Glamorganshire: Griffiths, Thomas;
Middlesex: Sibley, Barnett;
Beds: Sibley
Kent: Jury, Hunt;
Yorkshire/Middlesbrough: Wright, Sullivan;
Irleand/Cork: Donovan, Sullivan;
Northern Ireland (Monaghan): Keefe;

Census information is crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 March 08 09:40 GMT (UK) »
...and just to confuse you, there is a St Margaret's, Twickenham, Middlesex, nowhere near the City.  ;)

Westminster is not part of the City, either.

And I can't find him in Westminster or Twickenham.  :-\

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 March 08 09:54 GMT (UK) »
The area called St Margarets in Twickenham is named after a Roman Catholic Church and so can probably be discounted.  There is however a St Margarets in Uxbridge and another in Edgeware.  The former of these is certainly old enough.

I would expect the one that you are looking for to be the one in Westminster because the others would in 1810 usually be referred to as e.g. Uxbridge parish church.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vonnie M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 March 08 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou David, Meles and Viv,

this has given me a starting point.  I will look at Westminster and see what i come up with. I figured St Margaret was part of a parish but my net skills aren't as good as they should be !

Cheers for now......

Vonnie

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 March 08 22:22 GMT (UK) »
ST Margaret's Westminster stands between Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament.  It is known as the church of the House of Commons.  It thus not a parish church but would fairly certainly have its own registers.  As Nell says below it is a parish and in fact the parish contains Westminster Abbey.

If you start searching further there are four churches called St Margaret's in the City of London.  I probably need to explain.  The City of London is the central area of Greater London which has been regarded as separate from the County of Middlesex for many years,  Today it is the financial district but going back hundreds of years it was the original London and contains a very large number of very small parishes.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 March 08 12:25 GMT (UK) »
St Margaret, Westminster is shown as a parish in its own right.  It is a Royal Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, along with St John the Evangelist Westminster.  Its older registers are now kept at Westminster Abbey.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vonnie M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 March 08 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Nell and David fo the further clarification. It is definately confusing but I think I know what to look for from here on in.

Cheers and thanks again
Vonnie  ;D

Offline mainnet774

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Relative also looking for info.
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 June 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Vonnie. I hope you might log in soon. I am in Victoria too and I am related to you through the Moate family.  My grandmother is Adeline Dorothy Day [nee Moate] and I am the eldest daughter of Edwin Alan Day, the eldest son of "EDWIN" Joseph Day and Adeline Dorothy.  I am also new to Genealogy and Ancestry research.  I have not been able to find out when Edwin's father, Charles Day b.6 Jun 1860 in Greenwich, England, came to Australia.  I also noted that you were trying to find information about Thomas Day.  I would love to make contact, so I hope you respond sometime soon.
Regards,
Vivienne Main [nee Day] ;)