Author Topic: Jones and Sharp of Baltinglass/Hackettstown  (Read 28751 times)

Offline carhoglucan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones and Sharp of Baltinglass/Hackettstown
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 02 February 20 18:12 GMT (UK) »
LorWri

Just looking through posts and noticed your message.  I'm trying to find my John Jones family from Holdenstown, Baltinglass.  My great grandmother was Harriet Sophia Jones who married John Pepper in 1863.  She converted to Catholicism to marry him (there is a suspicion of her being Methodist).  Her father is names John Jones labourer from Holdenstown on the marriage record. I've no idea who this John Jones is married to but wondering does Harriet Sophia Jones ring any bells with your family tree?
Caroline

Offline cdn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 30 October 21 02:16 BST (UK) »
Are any of the long ago posters to this thread (RufyGH, cumminswr, Gsj, Charlie J, Sally mcfarlane) still paying attention? If so, hello, probable cousins! I would love to connect with you! I am descended from Jane Jones Condell, born 1780-81, daughter of John Jones of Hacketstown. She named one of her sons John Shepherd Condell.
Jones, Condell

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 September 22 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi CDN

I haven't been on in a while. I hope you see this.
Your Jane is curious to me as it doesn't fit with what we know but I look forward to resolving your Jane in our version of our tree.
Hope to hear from you.
regards
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline Sally mcfarlane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 September 22 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there haven’t done any research for a while now… will get my notes out and see if I can make connection.. my jones family left hacketstown around 1895 and bought a farm in gorey
Regards sally

Offline carhoglucan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 03 September 22 17:51 BST (UK) »
Further to my posts above..as I have further information now.  Harriet Sophia Jones was Church of Ireland.  I found a record on her conversion to Catholicism which states her parents were John Jones and Susan Jones of Holdenstown.  I was also told by genealogist Fiona Fitzsimons that John and Susan Jones are buried in the Church of Ireland graveyard in Rathvilly. Susan Jones died 25/11/1847 and John died 22/12/1865.

Having looked through Harriet's children's baptism records the following names cropped up:
Edward Keogh, Margaret Abbey, Thomas Killian, Elizabeth White, Margaret Flinter, John Byrne, Rose Darcy, Richard Ovington.  I am particularly interested if anyone has an Ovington and Jones connection.

Offline cdn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 04 September 22 07:51 BST (UK) »
Charlie J,
What a delightful surprise to hear from you! I am eager to collaborate and will consider collaboration valuable even if it disproves what I thought I knew. My understanding of Irish records, place names, etc. is far from expert, so please don't be over-polite about disagreeing/correcting. That said, here is more about Jane and evidence by which I'm connecting my ancestor to yours.

In addition to the son named John Shepherd (as spelled on his grave marker), she had another named William J. with strong indication the "J." stood for Jones. Indexed marriage records list Jane Jones and Thomas Condell, married in 1801. A newspaper marriage announcement from May 1801 says Miss Jones, the daughter of John Jones, Esq. of Hacketstown, married Thomas Condell from Carnew. I'm interpreting Hacketstown and Carnew as parish names here. A tithe applotment record for Eagle Hill, Hacketstown, Carlow dated November 1823 shows Jane Condell occupying land right next to that occupied by John Jones and Shepard Jones. July 1824, Jane and 10 of her children emigrated to the USA, where her branch has remained, as far as I'm aware. I haven't found records for Thomas or one additional daughter, but they did end up here, too, and it seems reasonable to believe that Thomas was already gone in November 1823. Deed memorial 490515, Book 717, page 379, having to do with Aunt Rachel Barker Marks bequeathing land to John Jones the younger, lists Thomas Condell as a witness.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Have you figured out exactly how the older Shepard (the one on the 1823 tithe applotment) fits in? He seems like a brother to Jane and the younger John, but I have found nothing to confirm that.

There is another witness to the deed mentioned above whose name I can't make out. Possibly another brother-in-law? Do you know anything about that?

An 1838 newspaper death announcement says, "February 21, at her son's residence, Newtown, Baltinglass, in the 99th year of her age, Mrs. John Jones, relict of the late John Jones, Esq., of Woodside, Hacketstown." Do you have anything to corroborate or contradict that being our grandmother?
Jones, Condell

Offline cdn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 04 September 22 22:05 BST (UK) »
Occurred to me that I may have been unclear. I think that Jane was the daughter of the *oldest* John Jones discussed here. She died July 9, 1839 "in the 59th year of her age," so was born 1780-81.
Jones, Condell

Offline cdn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 05 September 22 18:54 BST (UK) »
Sally,
Looking back at your posts, I see, "I am a descendent of Constance Jones her father was Henry Jones .. His father was Robert p Jones ... His father Sheppard Jones and his father was I think John Jones." I believe that your John and my Jane were brother and sister. Considering how far along the rest of you were before I even knew enough to find this thread, I assumed you had already seen the deed I referenced above, but if not, do take a look. It's a good one! I hope this link will take you there directly:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-3QS7-H?i=173&cat=185720

(beginning at the bottom of the right hand page)
Jones, Condell

Offline cdn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 05 September 22 20:11 BST (UK) »
carhoglucan,
I don't quite understand how/if you connect, but in my collection of puzzle pieces that don't (yet?!) fit, I have a deed between Thomas Condell and John Jones. Turned out to be right names, but wrong people for me. That John Jones was from Holdenstown, though, so perhaps you want it for your collection, if it isn't there already. It has a lot more information about Condells than Joneses, but may hold a clue for you, too. If I understand, John Jones won a judgment against Thomas Condell, so possibly there are court records, too? It is memorial #286 in Book 16 1835.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-LK32?i=191&cat=185720
Jones, Condell