Author Topic: St Johns [Bedwardine] & St Bartholomews Church, Grimley.  (Read 9054 times)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: St Johns [Bedwardine] & St Bartholomews Church, Grimley.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 April 08 10:53 BST (UK) »
Pam, thank you. The Joseph WILKS and Ann you mention could certainly be the ones I'm looking for. Dates are bit elastic in those days, so maybe it could fit. If it is them, they were married in 1794 in Winchcombe, Gloucs. If Ann was 60 in 1841 I worked out that she'd have been 13 when married, but I've been told that the ages were rounded down for the census, so she might have been a few years older. Son Richard was, as you say, living with his own household by then. And so Hannah could be a sister – a much younger sister – but still it's possible.

And, wouldn't it fit, too, with Ann being born at Martley because bits of Worcs were in Gloucs. in those days?

Jamie
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 May 08 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamie

Here are the results of my look up at Worcester History Centre for GRIMLY

Joseph Wilks = Ann (IGI 29 DEC 1802) there are no Banns or Marriage on parish registers
Banns John Wilks & Elizabeth Weaver 29 SEP, 6 OCT, 13 OCT 1811
MAR John Wilks (B) = Elizabeth Weaver (S) 20 OCT 1811
Wits - Edward ________, Mary Harrison
Searched 1794 - 1815 for siblings of Richard C1802 but was unable to find any
also unable to trace Joseph's line any further back as his baptism cant be found

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 May 08 07:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed, Phil. It's very kind of you to do this. I must see if I can definitely link John WILKS and Elizabeth WEAVER to Joseph and Ann.

I hope your own searches for your family were successful.

Jamie :)
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 May 08 07:45 BST (UK) »
Phil, one quick question – you found

Joseph Wilks = Ann (IGI 29 DEC 1802) there are no Banns or Marriage on parish registers

Did you mean that there is a marriage for Joseph and Ann on the IGI in Grimley?

Jamie

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 May 08 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamie

yes it means just what it says (there's nothing in the banns or marriages for this couple) & its another error on the GRO & its by far from the first time that this sort of thing has cropped up on the IGI where a baptism has been invented as it was thought it should be there.

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 June 08 03:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Phil.

Jamie

Offline clk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 August 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
I am related to John Wilks who married Elizabeth Weaver in 1811. They moved with most of their children to New York City around 1843. He was a stair builder and so were his sons. The 1841 census in England lists him as a builder.

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 11:57 BST (UK) »
I am related to John Wilks who married Elizabeth Weaver in 1811. They moved with most of their children to New York City around 1843. He was a stair builder and so were his sons. The 1841 census in England lists him as a builder.

Do you happen to know if your John Wilks had connections to any of my Wilks who came from the Hallow/Grimley area in Worcestershire? Joseph Wilks, Richard Wilks, Thomas Wilks?

Offline clk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 05:09 BST (UK) »
Here is what I know about John.    He was born in Worcester on 7 Nov 1790 and his middle initial was V. I have this information from my grandmother's genealogical records. His children with Elizabeth Weaver (26 Feb 1790) were:
Hannah (21 Mar 1812), Edwin (6 Dec 1813), Stephen (13 July 1819), Eliza (5 Nov 1821), Hannah Maria (10 Aug 1824), John Hall (25 Oct 1825), Samuel (20 Jan 1827), Thomas Smith (17 May 1828), Elibethas (26 Nov 1829). He last appears in the US Census in 1870, living north of New York City.     I would love to know who his parents and siblings were.