Author Topic: BOYD Look-up Please, New Brunswick  (Read 6229 times)

Offline Aley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
BOYD Look-up Please, New Brunswick
« on: Monday 10 March 08 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find parents for James Boyd, b. abt. 1829 Queens County, N.B. James married Magdalene Belmain Clark on Dec. 27, 1866 in Kings Co. N.B. I do have the names of James & Magdalene's children. I have a fair amount on the Clark family.

I did find him on the 1871 census living in Queens, Co. age 39 and 1881 census living in Saint John Co. age 51. So now I have 3 birth years for James, 1829, 1830 and 1832.

Also would like to know which cemetery he is buried in. James died Oct 1882 in Saint John County, N.B. Magdalene left N.B. date ? and moved to Prince Albert, Sask, Canada.

Aley
Bott from Yorkshire, Davison from Durham, Ross from Inverness, Scotland, Robinson from England, Simpson from Scotland, Elliott from Yorkshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOYD Look-up Please, New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 March 08 19:57 GMT (UK) »
well, can't see anything on the N.B. BMD for him

but an ancestral file says born Dec. 16th 1829 , Johnston Parish, Queens Co., N.b.    
death Oct  4th 1882 Saint John, , N.b. marriage Dec. 27 1866 Kings Co., N.b.
unfortunately no parents listed
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 March 08 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Now this may sound strange, but with no records for him I searched a little more and found this...a young lad by the name of James Boyd, age 7 arrived alone on the brig Dorcas Savage ...it sailed from Belfast, April 4th in 1833
arrived St. John N.B. June 1833

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists/dorcassavage1833.htm
He is not the only child listed without parents...there is an Agnes Scott further up the list age 4...
Out of 155 passengers, only 10 couples on board, all else are either single, or widowed

There seems to be an exact date of marriage so am wondering if a parish record was found but with no parents listed for him...as he may not have remembered their names by then...( there I go, again, more conjecture) ;D
But if this turns out to be your James, the search for parents will be even tougher...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 March 08 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1880 U.S. 1881 Canada census, there are a few James listed as born around the same time and they weren't listed either...( to clarify, their births weren't listed, and ALEY already said she' d FOUND THE FAMILY in 1881!!))
also that liittle boy may have gone to the U.S. eventually, as well, so I shouldn't just jump to conclusions...I found an LDS submission of a James Boyd born Ireland in 1826 who married in U.S. and put unknown for father...so it could just as well have been that one
but one never knows...

Offline Aley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.J.

James Boyd is so hard to find. I tried the N.B. Provincial Archives and found one record of his daughter, Elizabeth Maud Boyd b. Aprils 18, 1874. No other children recorded.
James & Magdalene had 7 children.

Carey Burpee, b. Oct. 16, 1869
Alice Ruth, b. Dec. 30, 1867
George Harrison, b. Oct. 31, 1871
Flora Isabell, b. June 28, 1876
Dorcas Ann, b. Feb. 18, 1878
Julia, b. Nov. 4, 1879

You would think there would be a record of his birth and his children somewhere in N.B.

Aley
Bott from Yorkshire, Davison from Durham, Ross from Inverness, Scotland, Robinson from England, Simpson from Scotland, Elliott from Yorkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1880 U.S. 1881 Canada census, there are a few James listed as born around the same time and they weren't listed either...
Family listed in New Brunswick in 1881 census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I know they are listed....on the census...was just noting the fact that their were other James  Boyd listed on the census as having been born around the same time and were't on the BMD either...so perhaps the information for those years just isn't on there...
Aley has pointed out that the children aren't on there either, so maybe the area is missing data because it hasn't been worked on yet....
I notice they just changed their format, so maybe they are back on it...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry JJ but couldn't see any mention here that James Boyd and family had been found in 1881 Canadian census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 March 08 01:26 GMT (UK) »
 I don't see a Methodist church and couldn't find James on the listings...
perhaps someone here may have information regarding a methodist cemetery...
or where James might be buried.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nbstjohn/

It seems there may never be a completion of the Queen's county 1852 records, as only a few still exist... so that's a disappointment...
http://automatedgenealogy.com/censusnb51/index.jsp

In case this ever proves to be a relative...On the 1881 census...there is a John W. Boyd & family in the same district, also of Irish descent and born N.B.