Author Topic: BOYD Look-up Please, New Brunswick  (Read 6242 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOYD Look-up Please, New Brunswick
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 March 08 01:54 GMT (UK) »
The middle names, as well as the forenames of some of the children could be a clue....Harrison, Carey, Burpee are all New Brunswick family surnames....but without some other early information on siblings or any family it woud be tough to find a connection...

There is no mention of James or his family in the pioneer listings from the archives...It seems as though there should be some mention of a family that was there as early as his would have been....
http://www.nbgs.ca/firstfamilies.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Aley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 March 08 06:22 GMT (UK) »

Thanks J.J. for the links.

James Boyd and family is on the 1881 Canadian census living Saint John, New Brunswick. It's on the LDS Site.
I did put his name in the N.B. Provincial Archives and nothing came up but when I put his name in for the Marriage Bond ( same Archive ) I found him.

Boyd, James date: 1866, Point of Origin, Queens Co.
Bride, Magdalen B. Clark, Point of Origin, Kings, Co.
Boyd John, Role: Co- Signer

One of Magdalen's brothers name is Judson Burpee Clark. She also had a sister named Julia.

This could be him in the Lovell Directory for 1871.
Name: James Boyd, street Gohen, Parish Johnston, Queens Co. Occ. Farmer.
This makes sense cause I have Carey Burpee Boyd b. in Goshen and George Harrison Boyd d. in Goshen age 15.
 I haven't found his parents yet.

Aley

Bott from Yorkshire, Davison from Durham, Ross from Inverness, Scotland, Robinson from England, Simpson from Scotland, Elliott from Yorkshire

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rpmurray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 August 10 04:01 BST (UK) »
James Boyd's parents appear to be Robert Boyd (abt 1785, N. Ireland) and Flora Alcorn (abt 1787) who came to New Brunswick in 1825 from County Donegal, N. Ireland and settled largely in Queens Co., N.B. James Boyd was buried in Goshen, Queens Co., N.B. in 1882, but his grave was moved years later because of a road project.

Offline rpmurray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 August 10 04:12 BST (UK) »
More info: James Boyd birth family info is from the IGI, found at www.familysearch.org, based on info submitted to LDS church by L., a 3gg-son of Robert Boyd's who lived in Alton, Utah and may not still be alive. I'm trying to track down the source document, which I suspect is possibly entries from a Boyd family Bible

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 August 10 08:02 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 August 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
I did find him on the 1871 census living in Queens, Co. age 39 and 1881 census living in Saint John Co. age 51. So now I have 3 birth years for James, 1829, 1830 and 1832.
You can now have another census age for James as well, as the 1861 has him as b. 1827   ;D
Johnston District 2, Queen's, New Brunswick sheet 23 -line 898  ;D
with brother Thomas b. 1825 line 895,   Mary Anne ( RANKINE from IGI ) b. 1837 896   Flora born 1861, line 897
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=fs%3A1325208&p=collectionDetails
search "Queens, New Brunswick, Canada" for fewer & best results

Jame's (uncle?) Thomas Boyd married an Alcorn as well, Margerie....and they had a Flora as well named after her sister... so that all gets more confusing

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com