Author Topic: Names of Ships: Glasgow: mid 1800's  (Read 1631 times)

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Names of Ships: Glasgow: mid 1800's
« on: Monday 10 March 08 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Help.

Trying to find if a ship existed that my grandmother said her grandmother travelled on from Scotland (Dumbarton area) to Tasmania somewhere around mid 1800's.

My Gt Gt grandmother was married in Tasmania in 1862 she was born in 1834.........so somewhere in between she travelled.  (Really hard to find)

"Lady Jane O'Loughlin" was the 'supposed' name of ship quoted to me.  I have searched all the Lloyds sites, shipping sites etc.  ???

Thanks Barb
Hibberd: Sheffield, Dronfield, Yorkshire; Barry: England, Echuca Victoria Australia; Reid: Dumbarton to Tasmania; Parkin: Leeds to Tasmania: Younie: Moray,Scotland to Tasmania:Horsham: England to Tasmania

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
Re: Names of Ships: Glasgow: mid 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 March 08 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Barb,

While I have no quick and easy answer it might be easier for us to search for the name of your GGgrandmother and possibly trace her to a ship rather than look for a ship that may or may not exist with the name you have.

So if you would feel comfortable maybe you would like to post the names of your relative and her family that may have travelled with her and we'll start that way instead.

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Been there and done that. ;D   Havent got a dob.  Two lots of  years as when she died she was 5 years older than should have been .  Her name was Catherine Reid and their is umpteen in Scotland.  Born either 1829 or 1834.

Thought if I found the ship I could narrow it down to which one to look for.  My Nan has been very accurate on all the verbal info I gleaned from her in relation to her dad's side, have to believe from her maternal side she was also accurate ???

When she married in 1862 in Tassie the marriage certificates were lacking in parents, dobs etc. :'( :'( :'(

Barb
Hibberd: Sheffield, Dronfield, Yorkshire; Barry: England, Echuca Victoria Australia; Reid: Dumbarton to Tasmania; Parkin: Leeds to Tasmania: Younie: Moray,Scotland to Tasmania:Horsham: England to Tasmania

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Just to be a pain in the patootie, have you ever been told if Catherine came out on her own or if she travelled with family.  If she travelled with known named family we could try to find any of them coming out if we can't find her directly.

Cheers
Bunny 8)

P.S. How rude - an informationless certificate.  What's the point of that ???
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

As far as I am aware Grannie came alone about 17 years old.  She was employed as a Nannie to a family named Gatenby in Launceston Tas.

I imagined it was like part of the clearing from western scotland.  Some were sent out like "bounty" ie had fares paid in return for working at homes as domestics etc.

see: Look up please:Complete:Parish Recors - Reid,Dumbarton.  by Minnie222 on Wed 23/1/08.

Barb

Offline leighton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barb,

I have come across references to a ship called the LADY JOCELYN operating in the Australia/New Zealand area.

This sounds similar to your LADY JANE O'LOUGHLIN. Could this be your ship?

She was built about 1852 and was owned by the General Screw Steam Company. If you have access to the Times Archive you will find several references to her.

leighton 

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 March 08 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Leighton will check it out.

My Gt Grandpa's ship Nana said was Merceree and I found him on the passengers list on the Merkara - close!!!

So yes perhaps it was something close to Lady Jocelyn.

Always someone crops up with a different way of looking than you do yourself.

Much appreciated for all the helpful people on this site.

Regards Barb