Author Topic: One for Liverpool Annie Part 2  (Read 87453 times)

Offline sorrel45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: One for Liverpool Annie Part 2
« Reply #252 on: Saturday 13 August 16 21:41 BST (UK) »

Thanks to Tisgrannie .... I have become acquainted with a poignant blog ........ !

And although this isn't "the Charge " ... I'd like to include this here !

In Gosforth church there is a large marble plaque describing the death of Captain Charles Allan Parker, Royal Marines, who was killed during during the Crimean War (1853-56) fought between Russia and an alliance of Britain, Turkey, France & Sardinia. Though the principal and most memorable events of this absurd & tragic conflict took place on the Crimean Peninsula on the north coast of the Black Sea, most famously the charge of the Light Brigade, there were other less well known encounters, principally naval actions aimed at disrupting Russia's Far Eastern trade routes. One was at Kamtschatka (Kamchatka) on Russia's Pacific seaboard.

http://cumbrianwarmemorials.blogspot.com/search/label/Crimea

My great * 3 grandfather! Glad to see he's not forgotten...

Offline DMC1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: One for Liverpool Annie Part 2 william henry cory
« Reply #253 on: Saturday 02 December 17 05:29 GMT (UK) »
For clarification I am Davida Mary Cory of Sacramento, CA United States of America
William Henry Cory is my ancestor he is laid to rest in St. Helena in Beaufort, South Carolina he was in the Charge of the Lightbrigade and a horse fell on him during the battle he was said to have been awarded the Victoria Cross for his valor, but others have stated that he was in a penal colony for forgery and never received the Victoria Cross because of that my Grandfather and his cousin James Verdier have seen the saber from the war my Grandfather is Gerald A. Cory Jr.  The Southern Cross of Honor is laid in front of his head stone.  The reason it is hard to find the last names is when they came over names were spelled wrong by several people and depending on who was filling out the census forms we have seen several family members names spelled wrong.  Even to date now many people have spelled my name wrong I have seen other relatives spell my name Davita Cory Divida Cory but my name is Davida Mary Cory it happened a lot with our family and we intermarried with the Verdier's.  My great grandma is Alice Verdier and my great grandmother is Marie Alice Verdier so everything is really messed up and almost all the family members gave their daughters the middle name Marie but some would say it different like May ree, Mary, Marie just to complicate things and the Cory's, Verdier's and Grayson's all intermarried and my family starts with Andre Verdier and Rebecca Howard  my email is (*) feel free to contact me

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Saturday 02 December 17 13:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a little bit of misinformation there.  The horse didn't fall on him, it was shot from under him and he wasn't in a 'penal colony', he was in Portland Prison which is in Dorset, England.

He used the surname TYSON in the United States.

Previous thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674344.0

Debra  :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Sunday 14 October 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
I have not had time to read this thread fully, though I shall.

I was looking for a historic list of the first group women/nurses who went with Florence Nightingale to Scutari, see: https://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale/38.htm

A friend gave me "The Water Horse" by Julia Gregson.  It is a fictional account of a young woman who went with FN to Scutari, but many of those on the genuine list are mentioned, so I am guessing the novel is well researched.

Anyone interested in the subject might like to read the book.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.