Author Topic: Anderson & Murphy  (Read 4132 times)

Offline lonk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Anderson & Murphy
« on: Wednesday 12 January 05 00:16 GMT (UK) »
My 3x Great Grandmother and Grandfather Elizabeth(Nee Murphy) and John William Anderson came to England in the late 1840s  they had two children that I know of Ann Anderson and Thomas Anderson , I believe Elizabeth's brother William Murphy also came . Elizabeth's father on her second marriage certificate is William Murphy a weaver. This is also on her brothers marriage to Ann Ferns
The only mention of a place of birth is on William Murphy from the census returns this states co.Leitrim and his wife Ann Ferns who also has her sister Margaret living with them states.Co Sligo.   Does anyone have connections with these families or point me in the right direction for information please

Thank You Lorraine

White  Barnsley Nottingham Bradford Rotherham
Keywood Nottingham Denaby
Elliott Rotherham Ecclesfield Sheffield
Battersby  Rotherham Derbyshire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson & Murphy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 07 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Lorraine,

Are you making any progress in your search? I read your message just now and thought I'd have a look at Griffith's Valuation of Ireland to see in which parishes in Leitrim one could find families with the surname
Murphy. That was not a lot of help as they appeared in every county bar one.

The Anderson surname makes life easier ... that surname does not appear in so many parishes in the County. Keep your fingers crossed that someone is looking for a Murphy or an Anderson in one of the following Leitrim parishes and is able to give some more assistance: ....

Carrigallen, Cloonclare, Killasnet, Kiltubbrid, Cloone, Oughterragh and Rossinver.

Chris

Offline lonk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson & Murphy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 07 13:49 BST (UK) »
Thank You Chris

Have had no idea where to start with these ancestors .  Iam considering a visit to Ireland if you or anyone can tell me where to start

Thank you for your time it is much appreciated

Lorraine
White  Barnsley Nottingham Bradford Rotherham
Keywood Nottingham Denaby
Elliott Rotherham Ecclesfield Sheffield
Battersby  Rotherham Derbyshire