Author Topic: Seeking the Scally's Kilbeggan  (Read 31934 times)

Offline skate62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking the Scally's Kilbeggan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 March 08 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anthony
You have posted a picture of my grandparents and my dad and his brothers and sisters.
My Dad, David is the baby in the photo and Father Joseph Scally is on the left, my uncle, who died some years ago.

I was amazed to find this. My grandmother was Frances Lucas and had Ruby and Winnnie as two of her sisters. I know that two brothers married two sisters and I met Jo Holmes some years back. So many relatives-it is all a bit hazy.

Hope this helps

Kate

Offline skate62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 March 08 19:59 GMT (UK) »
I should have added that I have some family pictures which I will try and unearth, but most are not held digitally.

Very best
Kate

Offline Anthony Daly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 March 08 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  Kate

I would love to see the photo and more details of family 

please contact me via personal message. *

Anthony

Moderator comment: modified to remove e-mail address to prevent spamming and other abuse.

Offline Anthony Daly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 March 08 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kate

I am just looking at a photo of my Aunt, Kathleen Daly with Dick ,Brenden and Noel Scally on a farm.

I would be happy to send it to you

Anthony

Offline Beem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 November 08 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I am also researching Scallys in Kilbeggan, but at least a generation earlier than Anthony's family of interest. My GG Grandfather, Patrick Scally, was born in Kilbeggan around 1835 and arrived in Queensland, Australia, on the 'Sabrina' in Nov 1855. His parents were Patrick Scally and Jane McDermott. Griffiths indicates that both these families may have farmed just over the border in Offaly but that is not confirmed. However, I do not know the name of any of Patrick's siblings, so I cannot point to a link to George Scally or his family, or any of the other families mentioned in earlier posts.

It may not be much of a guide, but the names of Patrick's children were: Bernard, Jane, Hugh, Michael, Catherine, Mary Rose, Johanna, Ellen, Patrick, Cecelia, Hannorah, Margaret. The Scallys/Skellys farmed near Toowoomba, then Crows Nest and Gowrie Creek which are all in the same general area.

Curiously, my Patrick had a grandson, another Fr Joseph Skelly (1899-1970), a priest of the Toowoomba diocese who would have been a similar age to the Fr Joe in the photo. (The family name changed from Scally to Skelly within 20 years of their arrival in Queensland.)

And if there are a few redheads in Anthony's photo - and it looks suspiciously like there are! - then the chances of a link grow even stronger.

Bernard

Offline Anthony Daly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 November 08 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bernard. 

I have recorded your info and continue  searching for the missing links.

Can you please give date of death of your GG grandfather Patrick

My grandson Matthew has ginger hair !

Anthony

Offline Beem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 November 08 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Anthony,

Patrick Scally died just on 96 years ago, 2 Nov 1912, in Brisbane. The family then took him back to his former locality and buried him in Crows Nest cemetery with his wife, Mary (O'Mara), who was originally from Borrisoleigh in Co. Tipperary.

I am interested in any of the Scally families that you have traced to Kilbeggan, and the links between them - if any. Going by the Griffith's Valuation records, there were clearly a number of different families in the area, though my Patrick was probably not the Patrick recorded leasing 18 acres in Clonaglin, just to the east of Kilbeggan.

Bernard

Offline Anthony Daly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 November 08 08:10 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Bernard.  Do you have any photographs? 

I checked my Scally family tree records and found a photograph of a headstone in New Relic Cemetery, Kilbeggan  with these details

Rose Scally born  1809   died 21st Aug 1885 ( from Rahugh )

Her daughter Catherine Scally died 11th March 1873 aged 23 years

On the same headstone Brenden Scally d 27th Jan 1967  son of James and Bridget Scally

Anthony

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 15:52 GMT (UK) »
1859 Cavan Extracts;
the Kilbegoan Aceldama;
Thomas Scally, caretaker of the Culnamier bog, property of Ralph Smith, summoned to the Kilbegan Petty sessions, five men, from the families of Ryan & Grehan, for having trespassed on his masters property and taken Bog manure.
The offenders were fined for trespass and it appears actuaized by a spirit of revenge subsecquently attacked Thomas Scally and his brother Michael in Kilbeggan market. At 7pm the same evening the Scally's were peacefully returning home when overtaken by their assailants who beat them in a most inhuman manner with bludgeons and stones and but for the approaching police caused the ruffians to desist from their murderious work, leaving the vitims almost lifeless.
Jack