Author Topic: Parents of William Casson  (Read 6291 times)

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of William Casson
« on: Tuesday 11 March 08 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I am rather hoping that someone in the various Casson families might come to my rescue. I have a William Casson born in or around Cockermouth, somewhere between 1782 and 1786. He married Elizabeth (no maiden name) in 1803 and they had 7 children. I would like to know if this William fits in with anyone else’s Family Tree and who his parents were.

I think I have found this William in 1851 as a widower and lodger living at 73 Kirkgate, Cockermouth. His DoB is given as 1783. Also in 1841 he was in Brewery Yard, Cockermouth with Elizabeth (I think she was one of his daughters), Mary his daughter in law and baby Mary his granddaughter. This time his DoB is given as 1786.

Any help would be much appreciated. Regards Lyn

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of William Casson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 23:23 GMT (UK) »
1851 census gives his birthplace as Broughton, possibly the place halfway between Workington and Cockermouth.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/26besq

Could he have been the person of that name bap at Workington 29 May 1784, of Wm and Mary?

1841 census doesn't say he was born in 1786 - it says he was at least 55 but not yet 60.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~engcots/Enum.html
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

Great to hear from you again... Yes I believe that is the very Broughton in question, but I can't find William's (b.<1783>) parents anywhere....they certainly don't seem to appear in IGI so I haven't any continuity of proof.

I'm sorry but I didn't quite understand your "Could he have been the person of that name bap at Workington 29 May 1784, of Wm and Mary?".. probably my stupidity, but could you elucidate on this for me please.

Reading the enumerators intructions does at least explain the 'few years out' in age of both William and his daughter Elizabeth...many thanks for that. I did have a little laugh to myself as to the instructions....they needed a couple of readings to make easy sense....nothing changes with governmental instructions does it?!!!

Thanks Geoff. Regards Lyn

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 11:00 GMT (UK) »
I was stating that there was a baptism of a William CASSON in 1784 at Workington whose parents were William and Mary - was he your chap?  I've no idea.

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes Geoff, It does sound like the very person, but where and how did you find the baptism?.... As I'm still on the learning curve and probably always will be!!!!, I had not found him myself. You are brill. As the names William and Mary come down the generations together, I would think this was my William, but could you tell me where to find that info.... Thank you so much. Lyn

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Baptism found at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true  (International Genealogical Index, IGI)

Most stuff there is accurate, other stuff is doubtful.  Anything you find there that says "about" is best ignored as it's just guesswork.  Truly, it is an Index - telling you what to look up and where - it is not the final product. :)

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Geoff. Your help and advice have been really great. Regards Lyn  :)

Offline Lincsbabe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 March 08 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ladyholme..
I have a William Casson in my tree but I don't know if he is your man.
My William Casson shows as marrying Mary Blenkinsop in 1811 so he would be roughly the same age as yours. Please PM me if you need any more info.. Regards Lincsbabe
Weaver, Wilcock, Heywood, (Leigh Lancashire)
Lee, Mc Quirk, Mc Guirk, Mc Gurk, Blenkinsop, Oldfield, Hilton (Whitehaven Cumbria)

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 April 08 10:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lincsbabe,

I have a feeling that we might have crossed paths before!!!! Thank you for responding though and I do apologise for the delay in answering...my fault intirely, sorry. I know the William you refer to (born about 1812) and I quite often get reference to him. It is a while since this William came up in discusions and no this one has nothing to do with me....the William I have, married Mary Chambers....on IGI his name comes up as William Calson, which I can only think is a transcriber miss spell (very easily done when you see the old way of writing 2 'SS's!) Many people in my tree have thought our William married Mary Blenkinsop, but this is incorrect from what I remember. I can't think of the reasoning at present...I haven't the documents in front of me, but it was to do with the births of the children...some born in Workington and some born in Cockermouth....thus it was worked out that there were 2 William Casson's who married Mary's around the same period. The Calson enigma....There doesn't seem to be any references to any  Calson's living in the district, so it was agreed there must be the transcription error. Actually I was looking for the previous 2 generations!! Guess what their names were... correct you guessed...more Williams!!! Lyn