Author Topic: Anyone Know Shalbourn(e)?  (Read 8177 times)

Offline nashua

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Annie Jones
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Know Shalbourn(e)?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sotonian

Thanks for adding the map, I did send info from the book to the other chatters by email.  As you say,its a great book with lots of photos and family details. My connection to Shalbourne is the Rolfe family.

Nashua
Jones, Crinks, Buckland - Bristol
Cook, Curtis, Bishop - Wilts
Betty, Bishop - Glos
Rolfe - Berks, Bristol
Webb - Bristol

Offline Sotonian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Nashua,

My great grandfather's 1st cousin Elizabeth Stockwell married Silvanus Rolfe at Hungerford  on 14 Sep 1872. Elizabeth's father was Thomas Stockwell and he was my great grandfather Jeremiah's brother.

Silvanus Rolfe and Elizabeth Stockwell had three children as far as I am aware: William born ~ 1873; Edith born ~ 1875; and Lillian born ~ 1882. They might have had more but this is not a line I have researched.

My great grandmother Ruth Water's brother Daniel married Hannah Rolfe and they lived in Welford where Daniel managed the brickworks. They had three children Sarah, Daniel and Hannah. Daniel and Hannah are buried in Welford churchyard.

My son-in-Law has Andover Rolfes on his mother's tree.
Alexander, Appleford, Bolshire, Brant, Campbell, Clarage/Claridge, Coates, Collyer, Cram, Deacle, Giles, Hiscock, Hoare, Keen, Mayor, Rixon, Simms, Stockwell, Tarrant, Taylor, Turner, Waters, Wheeler, Wilson

Offline maxdog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 18:40 BST (UK) »
Lovely map, soltonian, thank you. Pat W

Offline nashua

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Annie Jones
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 April 09 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sotonian

Thanks for the details of your Rolfe connections. I think they are probably connected in some way, but not found the link yet. My husband descends from Mark Rolfe b 1841 son of Thomas Rolfe & Sarah Trayhorne who married in Shalbourne in 1827. Thomas b 1796 was the son of John Rolfe & Emey (Amy ) Claridge. I believe they did originate from Hampshire but havent been able to confirm that.

regards

Nashua
Jones, Crinks, Buckland - Bristol
Cook, Curtis, Bishop - Wilts
Betty, Bishop - Glos
Rolfe - Berks, Bristol
Webb - Bristol

Offline gerald stockwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 February 10 12:13 GMT (UK) »
[We believe that the Stockwells originate from Wiltshire, possible Shalbourne, But many Stockwells were born in Hampshire..Wherwell, Easton, Goodworth, Clatford, Andover, Winchester, Elizabeth Stockwell maried into Rolfe family who were Romanys, I have history dating back to around 1786 but thier is a strong possibility that further research will go back to 1650s, Anyone that would like more information or to share, please email me direct. gerrystockwell@hotmail.com

Offline rshaw92

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel

I realise that this is somewhat late in the game as you posted in March but I wanted to reply to your original post about the Red Lion pub in Shalbourne.

In answer to your question I do know a lot about the place as my family and I have lived in the house (which it was converted into)  for 20 + years! in the Victorian era the house was redesigned and two big Victorian extensions were added to the part which was the pub (which is sort of the middle part of the house now)  so your right it was quite a small venue at one time.

Happy for you to PM with any questions you might have about the place :) we know quite a lot about the property's more recent history/owners as well,  just hope this isn't too out of the blue! it would be great to hear about your ancestor who lived there!

Thanks

Rosie

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 November 15 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie, and welcome to Rootschat!  :)

It is some years since I followed up this line of my family. My ancestor who kept the "Red Lion" was, in fact, the man in charge when the clergy took exception to the place and, as I understand it, were instrumental in its closure.

As it was a small place I do wonder how they managed as they had a largish family!

I recall that there was a possibility that some sort of friendly or mutual aid society was being run from the pub but I haven't been able to find out any more about that.

Do you have access to a copy of "Shalbourne To The Millennium" (as recommended by Sotonian, above)?  It contains all I know about the "Red Lion" and a little about my ancestor, erstwhile publican Richard Massey, and his father (also a Richard Massey, schoolteacher).

If it would interest you, I will find my notes and let you know a little of Richard's varied career.

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick point for Rosie: Personal Messaging doesn't kick in automatically, so I can't PM you yet! 

The "Help" section says:

"New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
Please note: If you are sending PMs to new members who have less than three posts you will receive an error message, that your limit, or allowed number has been reached. (note that it says your limit, although it actually refers to the recipient.)

Attachments are not allowed on PMs".

So get posting!  :)

Rachel

Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline JET5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 August 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sotonian

Thanks for the details of your Rolfe connections. I think they are probably connected in some way, but not found the link yet. My husband descends from Mark Rolfe b 1841 son of Thomas Rolfe & Sarah Trayhorne who married in Shalbourne in 1827. Thomas b 1796 was the son of John Rolfe & Emey (Amy ) Claridge. I believe they did originate from Hampshire but havent been able to confirm that.

regards

Nashua