Author Topic: Qld Archives  (Read 1981 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Qld Archives
« on: Wednesday 12 January 05 03:47 GMT (UK) »
One day next week I'm going to visit the Qld Archives at Runcorn (Brisbane).
These are  the immigrants/ships I have said I will attempt to find. My apologies if I have omitted anyone - pls add your name to this thread.

Christmack  "Royal Dane" William Elizabeth Mary & Margaret Lawlor
Olly               Thomas Draper - long shot
DelB              John Wilkinson Barker
Dusty            Charles Parker
Aussieshirl     mcnanley/mcmanley

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aussieshirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Qld Archives
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 05:03 GMT (UK) »
hi trish

wondering if you could look for mcnanley/mcmanley, I think they came to Brisbane after, or during 1881 and before 1885.
This family are one of my major brickwalls >:( and I would love to find any info about them.

Thanks  for anything you may find :)

Regards, aussieshirl :) :)

ps I don't have any clue which ship they came on......must have swam here,I think,lol

researching; elphick friend woolgar mcnanley watson gribble irwin shaw lindsay butler pratt payne heslop mcdowell mccormick
location; kent manchester ireland northern ireland fife london and australia

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi AS

Its more likely that they came steerage - often treated like cattle and no lists kept! One of my rels kept a diary (I have never found his shipping list) & wrote home to his brother that they should have delayed the trip until they could afford a cabin.

Do you have any idea of ages/given names?

Trish

Offline aussieshirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 05 01:08 GMT (UK) »
hi trish,

yes, they are Sarah McNanley, born about 1832, so would have been around 50 on arrival in Qld. Sarah McNanley, daughter, who married in Bris.  in Dec 1884, she gave her age as 21 on marriage cert.  Married to Charles Elphick.  James McNanley, son, who would have been about 18 and Mary, who would have been about 16.

James was the informant on his mothers death cert. she died in Melb. in 1889, and it is stated on cert. that she'd been in Aus for 7 years, so they probably came to Bris. around 1882.    Hope you can make sense of all this, thanks a lot for any help :) :) 

aussieshirl
researching; elphick friend woolgar mcnanley watson gribble irwin shaw lindsay butler pratt payne heslop mcdowell mccormick

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I did make it to the archives but had very little success - but I still have more to check. I did manage to sort out what index references indicate which years, which reduces the number of films to be checked.

AS, I found nothing at all for your names. I checked for a few similar (e.g. McAnally) and all I found in the indexes was  Mrs McNan and 2 children. The year of this index was !883/84 so I doubt it has anything to do with your family - sorry

Trish

Offline aussieshirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 January 05 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,
Thanks for checking for me regarding the McNanley family. Of course they wouldn't be there,.... just my luck ??? Looks as though they will remain a brickwall for a while longer.

Once again, thanks
regards aussieshirl :)