Author Topic: Boswell Help Please!!  (Read 42721 times)

Offline Linda11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell Help Please!!
« Reply #36 on: Friday 18 December 09 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dick
Yes that's my granddad he lived in a caravan in Sawley, where my dad was born (Sammy) My aunty Thora passed away in Feb of this year age 92. I have got photographs on Romany Genes sites. Take a look you will see my granddad (jonny) his wife Alice, my dad Sammy, aunty Thora and other members of our family.

Cathy would you please give Dick my e-mail address so that he can contact me. Thanks 
Derbyshire Boswell's

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 18 December 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
linda i am not sure who you are?do i have your email address?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Linda11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 18 December 09 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy I have sent you my e-mail address. Thanks  :)
Derbyshire Boswell's

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 18 December 09 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy I have sent you my e-mail address. Thanks  :)
Actually, you've sent a R2M (report to moderators) with the email address to moderators rather than a PM (personal message) to Cathy but I'll pass the message to Cathy offline.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Linda11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 18 December 09 17:28 GMT (UK) »
 :-[ Sorry about that aghadowey. Thank's for passing my e-mail to Cathy. Linda
Derbyshire Boswell's

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • My mother's father - Ellis Howard Adams
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 18 December 09 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Dominic, could you please gives us more details from Alger's birth certificate. Actual date, place, father's occupation, and the like.

I cannot apologise enough for not responding to this in the last .... 10 months!

Algar was born on 24 March 1915 in Ilkeston, Derbyshire. Certificate gave his father as Edward MacKenzie Boswell as his father and Emily Edith Yeomans as his mother.

Algar first married Hilda M Walker in 1936 and then Kathleen Dilks in 1947. He died in 1982 in Leicester District.

I no longer have the birth certificate itself (having given it to my mother's friend who is one of the daughters of Algar), and it appears that I am pretty shabby as I didn't write down what Algar's stated occupation was! Trust me when I say I'm kicking myself now (and have no idea why I didn't - it's not like me ....).
Holborow/Hurcombe/Halliday - Glos/Wilts
Palmer/Fisher - Collingbournes, Wiltshire
Murray - West Lulworth, Dorset

Offline Emily V C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading your thread and i can say that my family tree includes the Gumble family. 
John Gumble married Ada Boswell, please read below i am not sure if you have this information.

First Generation

1.   John (Jack) Gumble

John married Ada Boswell  daughter of Levi Boswell and Rayne\ Urania Lee Smith. Ada was born in 1869. She died on 10 Dec 1939 in Plumstead. She was buried in Plumstead Cemetery.

Good luck with your search

Emily Collins x

Offline isaiahboswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 12:42 GMT (UK) »
My brother Algar Boswell was living in Kilby Bridge when he died. With regards to Algar's occupation he was a length man (caretaking many of the locks) at Foxton Locks for many years and before that he was a boatman. Taking cargo such as coal, sugar etc along the canals. During the war, Stanton Ironworks had 6 pairs of narrow boats. Algar had a pair of thse boats and used to carry 500lb iron shells to Stoke on Trent.

Algar had one daughter with Hilda his first wife and her name is Thelma. Algar then went on to have 8 more children with Kathleen, 5 daughters and 3 sons as far as I can recall.

With regards to my Father Edward McKenzie Boswell, his occupation was 'Cutler' sharpening peoples cutlery as stated in my earlier entry.

Offline kdc650

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 21 January 10 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Isaiah

Did your mum and dad ever mention what they were doing when William Thompson saw them -

"M'Kenzie and Daiona, whom I first saw at Repton on Boxing Day, 1923, with blackened faces and coloured paper streamers pinned to their clothes and head-gear, the one playing the concertina and the other a tambourine"

Presumably he played the concertina and she the tambourine. Do you ever remember hearing them? I wonder what sort of tunes were played?

I would love to know more.

Keith C