Author Topic: Any information regarding Foxlease Farm and surrounding area of Minley.  (Read 3849 times)

Offline stephenaedwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Any information regarding Foxlease Farm and surrounding area of Minley.
« on: Wednesday 12 March 08 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I know that some Watts ancestors of mine were working on Foxlease Farm, Minley (grid reference SU823571). It was just west of Lower Minley Road. I have seen the farm on OS maps up to and including the 1940's New Popular Edition.

I have not been able to find any information at all on the area. It looks pretty much the same on modern maps as it did on the oldest OS maps. I'd be interested to know what is there now (still a farm?), anything about the history or land usage etc.

Many thanks

Offline mal689

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any information regarding Foxlease Farm and surrounding area of Minley.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 November 10 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I can't tell you much about the area now (in fact I'm interested myself). My mothers family gave the farm as their address on the 1911 census. Their name was Holman, and my grandfather was a gamekeper on Minley estates (I think!)

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 November 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if this place is connected?

http://www.foxlease.org.uk

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 November 10 20:59 GMT (UK) »
The Hampshire Records Office has some details about Foxlease Farm, Minley

Deeds and evidences relating to lands purchased by Raikes Currie and Laurence Currie of Minley Manor, Yateley, in the parishes of Yateley and Crondall (including Fleet Farm, Foxlease Farm and parts of Yateley Common)
 1859-1903

http://calm.hants.gov.uk/DServe/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anne Baker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 March 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Home Farm, Minley Manor is still there but now a ruin. The estate was acquired by the Army in 1936 and the house was used as an Officers mess the land as a training ground and still is today. The manor has recently been sold and supposed to become a high class hotel. The following website has photos of the farm as it is today a very sad site. There where four farms on the estate only one is still a farm, the others are a private house and a small business estate using what was once a pig farm. If you use Facebook there is a members group called Fleet in the 60s to early 70s several people on the site lived on the estate. Hope this is some help to you.                                                 
              https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/misc-sites/35396-home-farm-foxlease-farm-minley-manor-hampshire-september-2017-a.html#.WqUMlmq5uUk