Author Topic: Elizabeth Perkins of Wokingham  (Read 56871 times)

Offline fletcherhist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Perkins of Wokingham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 September 08 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Excuse me for butting in but to my knowledge, Herbert Howard Perkins (1851-1928), father of Stanley, Eric and Alan etc, came from Tasmania. He and his wife, Emily are buried in St. Paul's Churchyard with one of their sons, Walter.

Regards,

Fletcherhist

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 September 08 10:10 BST (UK) »
I thought that either Herbert Howard or his parents were born in the Wokingham area and then went out to Tasmania.  Unfortunately my neighbour who was a member of the family died a number of years ago and so I have no way of checking.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 September 08 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi to both of you

Perhaps Herbert's parents and Thomas were cousins (or brothers) as it seems they may have both come from Wokingham I need to trace Thomas's parents.

Thank you both for your information.

Buzz

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 September 08 10:39 BST (UK) »
Howard Perkins in his notes on the family in volume10 of the Wokingham Historian confirms that Howard Heard Perkins sailed for Hobart in Tasmania two years after the birth of his son Herbert Howard Perkins to join an uncle in a grocery business called "Perkins and Nephew".

They came back after about three years with a further son Eric Heard Perkins who was born in Tasmania.

There are further articles about the family in volumes 8 and 11 written by members of the family. 

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline fletcherhist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 September 08 16:18 BST (UK) »
This is true but if you look up the censuses Herbert Howard  gives his birthplace as being Tasmania.

Regards

Fletcherhist

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 September 08 16:43 BST (UK) »
I agree that in 1881 he gives his birth place as Tasmania but in 1891 and 1901 it is Berkshire England.  I can only access the indexes at the moment and so I can't see the actual town, nether can I find him in earlier census.

David

Offline fletcherhist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 September 08 06:09 BST (UK) »
According to Ancestry.com Herbert H Perkins gives his place of birth in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 as being Tasmania. There is no reference to him in earlier censuses which could mean that he was in Tasmania during this period. Moreover, he went out there in 1879/80   with his family apparently to join a nephew in a grocery business, which strengthens the possibility that he was born in Tasmania.

According to the birth records in Ancestry.com only one Herbert Perkins was born in the years 1850, 1851 and 1852. Usually if there is a middle name, the initial of the middle name is quoted in the entry. This one only states 'Herbert Perkins'.

Fletcherhist

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 September 08 10:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry I misread the 1891 and 1901 indexes.  You are right.  However the other possibility should be considered which is that if he went out there at the age of two he might have thought that he was born in Tasmania.

I will back out of this discussion because I have no primary evidence to substantiate the views that I am presenting.

David

Offline Wardrobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 March 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I was just showing a friend of mine the 'joys' of the internet earlier today and I thought it would be a great idea to Google his grandfather's name. I did and came up with the posting on Elizabeth Perkins of Wokingham.

Further on in the postings we saw reference to a 40 page history of the Perkins family by a Howard Perkins.

Just so happens that my friend wrote that history. He is Howard Grenville Perkins, born 20 July 1916. His father was Eric Heard Perkins, born 23 May 1879 in Melbourne. Howard lives near me in the Salisbury area and would be quite happy to be in touch with any member of his family. He does not have a PC. Howard's grandfather was Herbert Howard Perkins (1857-1928), who married Emily Colbourn in Melbourne on 31 December 1876. Their eldest son was Herbert Lindsey (1847-1967), with Eric number 2 in the line.

Howard's uncle Frank (1888-1953) was the main player in the family cycle business in Wokingham, later Mayor of Wokingham.

If any of the above is of interest to anyone please get back to me.

David