Author Topic: Elizabeth Perkins of Wokingham  (Read 56594 times)

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Perkins of Wokingham
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 March 09 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hallo David

Good to hear of Howard.  Just one thing on the dates that were given, Howard's uncle Herbert's year of birth must be wrong - should it be 77 not 47?

I was hoping we could work out where our ancestors join up.  I am a direct descendant of Elizabeth Perkins through her son Charles Bedford who left Wokingham somewhere between 1861 and 1868 when he married Mary Ann Goldsbrough in Clerkenwell, London. 

Howard cannot be a direct descendant from Elizabeth but perhaps from her parents who were Thomas Perkins who was baptised on 18.5.1787. in Wokingham and married on 3.5.1810. to Catherine Eles, also in Wokingham.  The only thing I know of Thomas is that his parents were Thomas and Elizabeth but I have no other details.

As you will see from the first postings on this site, some of the details were wrong and Daisy has corrected them. 

Can Howard go any further back than his grandfather Herbert who I take it was born in Wokingham?

It would be good to hear from Howard with any details he has.

Buzz

Offline Wardrobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 March 09 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Buzz

you are quite right, 1877, not 1857 for Herbert Lindsay's birth.

I have researched two of Howard's lines, but not Perkins beyond Herbert Howard. All Howard has is a drop line tree drawn up my a family member at some stage, with Herbert Howard at the top. I am not too sure as to its accuracy as it gives Herbert Howard's birth as 1857, but he states he was 39 in the 1891 census.

I managed to find the birth reference to Herbert Howard in Tasmania in 1851. Unless you or someone else has already seen his birth record, or has researched this part of the Perkins family, I cannot go beyond Herbert Howard without obtaining the certificate.

Have you researched any of the Perkins and, if so, is there any way of getting a Gedcom file of the family? Or do you have any other information that link's Howard Herbert with Elizabeth?

David

Offline fletcherhist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 March 09 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I was just showing a friend of mine the 'joys' of the internet earlier today and I thought it would be a great idea to Google his grandfather's name. I did and came up with the posting on Elizabeth Perkins of Wokingham.

Further on in the postings we saw reference to a 40 page history of the Perkins family by a Howard Perkins.

Just so happens that my friend wrote that history. He is Howard Grenville Perkins, born 20 July 1916. His father was Eric Heard Perkins, born 23 May 1879 in Melbourne. Howard lives near me in the Salisbury area and would be quite happy to be in touch with any member of his family. He does not have a PC. Howard's grandfather was Herbert Howard Perkins (1857-1928), who married Emily Colbourn in Melbourne on 31 December 1876. Their eldest son was Herbert Lindsey (1847-1967), with Eric number 2 in the line.

Howard's uncle Frank (1888-1953) was the main player in the family cycle business in Wokingham, later Mayor of Wokingham.

If any of the above is of interest to anyone please get back to me.

David

Hi David,
I have written two booklets about former Mayors of Wokingham. The part about Frank :
may be of interest:

Fletcherhist

Frank Stanley Perkins (1888-1953)
Civic Career:
November 1919: unsuccessful—6th with 161 votes; November 1921: elected Councillor unopposed; November 1924: elected Councillor—3rd with 484 votes; November 1927: re-elected Councillor—5th with 542 votes; November 1930: elected Councillor unopposed; November 1933: re-elected Councillor—5th with 1,231 votes; November 1936: re-elected Councillor—5th with 1,061 votes; November 1937: elected Mayor and Chairman of the Rating Committee; July 1943: elected Alderman; 1945: re-elected Alderman; 1952: elected Alderman and County Councillor for Wokingham.

Frank was a native of Wokingham and one of a large family of six brothers and three sisters. His father, Herbert Howard Perkins (b. 1852) came to Wokingham from Tasmania and married Emily (1852-1908). Frank was educated at the Old British School in Wokingham and later, privately, by Mr. H. C. Byard.

In his early career Frank was a clerk at the offices of Messrs. Cooke, Cooper and Barry under the supervision of Albert Priest. He later became interested in the cinema and took up the position of assistant manager at a theatre in Bath.

At the outbreak of the First World War Frank joined the French army in which he saw active service. After the armistice he returned to Wokingham and, with his brother Eric, founded a garage in Broad Street and traded as the Perkins Brothers. Later Frank carried on the business with the assistance of his younger brother Alan (b. 1889) who also designed pantechnicans. These were manufactured by a company in Reading. A number of these vehicles were purchased by Reeves Removals. In later life, Frank was also director of The Centre Garage, Eversely, Ltd.

Eric opened a cycle shop in Peach Street assisted by his father, Herbert who was in charge of the workshop and repairs.

In 1916 Frank married Mabel Louise Glover at Christchurch, Reading by whom he had a son and two daughters, Barbara Mabel (b. 1917),  Marion Frances (b. 1921) and Buzz, who went to New Zealand.

As a member of the Berkshire Education Committee, Frank represented the authority of the governing bodies of the Easthampstead Park Training College and the East Berks College for Further Education, Windsor. He was also a governor of the Wokingham County Girls’ School.

A Freemason for many years, Frank was a Past Worshipful Master of the Guelph Lodge of Freemasons.

Frank was an accomplished musician and was organist and choirmaster at Wokingham Baptist Church. He was also associated with Crowthorne Methodist Church in a similar capacity.

An enthusiastic sportsman, Frank was at home on the hockey pitch, tennis court, bowling green and billiards table. He served as honorary secretary and treasurer of the Wokingham Excelsior Cricket Club; associated honorary secretary of the Wokingham Hockey Club; secretary of the Wokingham Sports Ground and chairman, vice-president and, from time to time, referee. of the Wokingham Town Football Club. He was also a shareholder of the Reading Football Club.

Frank died suddenly at the age of 65 from heart failure at his home, 41, Broad Street, on the evening of Monday 10th August 1953. His funeral service was held at All Saints’ Church. Perkins Way was named in his memory.

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 March 09 14:54 GMT (UK) »
So, according to the extract from the booklet by Fletcherhist, Herbert Howard Perkins was born in Tasmania.

Does this mean that Tasmania is where Herbert's ancestors came from and he just happened to arrive at a village in England which had inhabitants who just happened to have the same surname, albeit quite a common surname.

Buzz

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 March 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
It is fairly certain that Herbert's ancetors came from Wokingham to which they later returned.  The question to be answered is whther he was born before or after they sailed for Hobart.

Incidently I am still in contact with the widow of John Perkins who used to live next door to me.  I am not sure which of the brothers was his father.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Perks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hope you dont mind me butting in.

I've been researching the Perkins clan of Wokingham.

This is what i've come up with:

The Colonial Tasmanian Family Links Database (availiable online) shows that Herbert Howard Perkins was born in Tasmania in 1851. He has 10 siblings all born in Tasmania between 1841 - 1859.

His parents are John Perkins (b 1812 whereabouts unknown, d 1877 in Hobart, Tasmania), and Emmily Frances Watchorn b 1821, Stepney London, d 1863 in Hobart, Tasmania).

Emily's parents are William Watchorn (b 1797) and Susannah Eliza Perkins (b 1798, England).

John Perkins was an MP in the Tasmanian gov for a short time, as was one of his son's William Watchorn Perkins. John and Emmilys eldest child, Emily Jean Perkins married William Robert Giblin, who later became the 13th Premier of Tasmania. This might explain the interest in politics of Frank Stanley Perkins back in Wokingham.

If you look at a picture of 'Perkins and Nephew' Emporium in Hobart you can see the word 'Wartchorn' in stone above the shop. This is the site of an original shop owned by a Mr Watchorn.

Hope this is of interest and makes some sense.
Butler - Yorkshire
Harwood - Hertfordshire
Latour - India
Milne - India, Northumberland
Perkins - Berkshire, Huntingdonshire, Pembrokeshire, Tasmania
Price - Ireland, Liverpool
Watson - Northumberland

Offline fletcherhist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 22:07 GMT (UK) »
This is very interesting thank you. Every piece of the jigsaw is important. You mentioned a photograph. Could you possibly send a copy over?

Thanks a lot

Fletcherhist

Offline Perks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 November 09 17:35 GMT (UK) »

There are infact several photos to be viewed.

The Archives Office of Tasmania (www.tas.gov.au) has got a photo (about 1881) of 'Perkins and Nephew'  which stood on  Liverpool Street, Hobart.  There is another very clear one on UTas eprints, which shows workers standing outside the shop and I guess members of the Perkins family. One very important man appears in a top hat. The Watchorn sign above the shop is very clear.

I found a newpaper article on-line, but failed to save the web site, showing that the shop was originally called Wellington Stores and was indeed owned by William Watchorn. It was estabished in 1826. It was an advert listing all of the new products that they had in stock.

There are also photos of John Perkins and William Watchorn Perkins on tas.gov.au. The origin of John Perkins is a mystery. However there are several John Perkins migrating to Tasmania on convict ships, any which of whom may be the right one. Equally, he may not have been a convict.

I also found WWI sign up papers for Alan Horwrd Perkins to the Australian Military on 'Mapping our Anzacs'.  he must have been in Australia himself during WWI in 1915. He occupation shows he is in the motor trade in Wokingham and his father as Herbert Howard Perkins also in Wokingham.

Happy hunting

Perks1

Butler - Yorkshire
Harwood - Hertfordshire
Latour - India
Milne - India, Northumberland
Perkins - Berkshire, Huntingdonshire, Pembrokeshire, Tasmania
Price - Ireland, Liverpool
Watson - Northumberland

Offline fletcherhist

• RootsChat Extra