Author Topic: Irish in Cardiff  (Read 22174 times)

Offline RBroad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish in Cardiff
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new to rootschat, and just saw your post regarding Whitty's in Cardiff.  I have previously been in contact with Maura from the Whitty Clan but have been unable to find anything substantial to tie my family with.  My Great Grandfather Andrew Whitty worked as a farm labourer between 1901 and 1910 in Llancarfan.  1901 census states he is from Southern Ireland so we have had no luck tracing him till his death certificate stated his brother was with him when he died in Llancarfan in 1910.  I have had no luck tracing his brother a 'V' Whitty either.   Andrew had two daughters Sally (Sarah Jane) 1905 and Maude (Alice Maud)1907 and son Walter John born 1910.  I think we may be out a generation but wondered if there is any connection  Of course V may not be his brothers frist name as some of my irish relatives are called by their middle name and not thier first name. 

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 October 11 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there, good to hesar from someone else researching the Whitty's!

I'm quite excited by this as some cousins of mine (and myself of course!), have been trying to track down two remaining lines of our family, and Anthony Whitty is one of my gt gt grandfather's brothers who we lost track of.

Walter is a family name (my gt gt Grandfather was Walter).

I'm aware from my grandmother that Walter (and his son Nicholas) kept in touch with relatives in Cardiff up until Walter's death. My gran advised that Walter's brother's daughters attended the funeral, but that's it.

Do you have a rough, or exact, DOB for Anthony at all? Does it give an address for his brother on the death certificate if he was the informant? We have no first names beginning with a V unfortunately.

Unfortunately there do appear to have been
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 October 11 06:34 BST (UK) »
oops, continued:

There appear to have been quite a few Whitty's from Ireland living in Cardiff, and I'd contacted quite a lot with no luck.

You need to post a few more times (another twice I think) before you can PM me, and then if it's looking good, I'll e-mail you directly the details I have and we can see if anything clicks.

We've got the Whitty line back to 1826 (fully documented), so anything you can remember may tie you in

Chris

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 October 11 08:45 BST (UK) »
Roughly on topic:

I have a Ledgingham Murphy who had a daughter Sophia (eldest of 8 children) who married a William Howell in Chepstow in 1810.

I have never found any record of Ledgingham Murphy - have you?
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline RBroad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 October 11 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Halfsheep,

As far as i'm aware my great greandfather was called Andrew (from marraige and death certificate I have).  Est DOB is 1880 on death cert, and 1901 England & Wales census is 1879.  I have a private family tree already on Ancestry if you have access.  The only other thing my mother told me was that she thinks he was from Wexford.  There is a an Andrew Whitty in 1901 Irish census working a farm labourer in Wexford, Ballymitty with the same YOB with what looks like his brother (not a v whitty either), but as far as i'm aware its pretty impossibly for him to be recorded twice in two different counties, although Maura didn't know where this Andrew went either!  And thats all I have, which seems to be the problem.  I have however wondered where the name Walter had come from as I know it does not appear in any other part of my tree so I figured perhaps someone in Andrews family might have been called this. 

Not sure if this is any use to you but there was an A V Whitty living in St bride's in the 1930-50's according to some info I have researched but im not sure where he came from.  I think his DOB was around 1890 and he appears to have run garage called A V Whitty Garages in Southerndown.

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 October 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hmm intriguing. Wexford is certainly where my lot came from, but unfortunately, this is where pretty much all the Irish Whitty's came from.

1880 is the year of birth I have for my Anthony (07/09/1880). I also have military records for him and his occupation is given as a Labourer. However, I suspect labourers in Ireland were like coal miners in South Wales!!

I can't find Ballymitty, but my lot were from Taghmon, Coolsallagh and Clearistown.

I've not got access to Ancestry unfortunately either, but is his name was definately Andrew, then it's unlikely he's linked into my lot. Do you know what his father's name was - I'd assume it was on the marriage certificate.

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline RBroad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, just remembered I had not given you this info.  Fathers name on the cert was also Andrew Whitty (Labourer) he was recorded as deceased when he wed Eliza Marsh in 1905. 

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
No Andrew's in my lot unfortunately sorry.

I've no doubt that we're all connected somewhere down the line, and Maura at Whitty Clan is the fountain of all knowledge regarding the Irish Whitty's, but if she has no info at this time, it probably just means that it's unfortunately just you researching this particular line of the family at this time.

All the best though

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 10 October 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
I have a Ledgingham Murphy who had a daughter Sophia (eldest of 8 children) who married a William Howell in Chepstow in 1810.

Did you see my reply to your previous thread on Ledgingham?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,535316.0.html

Kind Regards
Morgan