Author Topic: Jenkins,Dwyer,Salmon from Bray  (Read 30388 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkins,Dwyer,Salmon from Bray
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 17:22 GMT (UK) »
The Irish Times website has the following to say about the surname Salmon in Ireland and it's frequency between 1847-64 (the time of Griffiths Primary Valuation).

numerous (239 households) : all areas, especially Mayo-Galway, Down. Ir. Ó Bradáin, bradán, a salmon. East of the Shannon, it is likely to be English.

I have also heard that Salmon is sometimes a Jewish surname, possibly a corruption of Salomon or Zalman.

Justin

Offline LOVELANE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 02 December 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a Salmon Interior Design Business on the Dublin Road in Bray. It is owned by two Salmon brothers and a sister, from a long-established Bray family. If you google Salmon Interiors Bray, contact details and a telephone number is available.

Offline spindlefish

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 07 January 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi duffysalmon,

My sister-in-law showed me your posts, which seem interesting as I appear to have a connection to Bray, Ireland (although I now realise there are two of these!) I'm trying to find out any information about my great-great grandfather Cornelius Edward (or Edward Cornelius) Salmon, who was born in Bray around 1846-47. He was a sailor and was married and settled in Whitehaven, Cumberland (as it then was) in 1869. His father was also Cornelius Salmon and all I know about him is that he died prior to 1869. Do these sound like relatives?

Regards,