Author Topic: Jenkins,Dwyer,Salmon from Bray  (Read 30386 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkins,Dwyer,Salmon from Bray
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 October 08 09:09 BST (UK) »
What is a "townland".  You say there r 2 one being in Wicklow and one in Kerry  then u say there is the one in Wicklow.  Does that mean there r 2 Bray in Wicklow alone and a third Bray in Kerry?

I see Aghadowey's beaten me to it 8)

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 October 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
OK, I looked up TOWNLAND at Wikipedia and Think I got it.  Since there is a Townland AND a Town of Bray in Wicklow and Only a Townland of Bray in Kerry I bet my family was from Wicklow.  The townland of Bray in Kerry, what Town is it in?  In an obit in the US I would think the place named would be a Town and not just a townland.
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 October 08 18:45 BST (UK) »
OK, I looked up TOWNLAND at Wikipedia and Think I got it. Since there is a Townland AND a Town of Bray in Wicklow and Only a Townland of Bray in Kerry I bet my family was from Wicklow. The townland of Bray in Kerry, what Town is it in? In an obit in the US I would think the place named would be a Town and not just a townland.

If the information 'Bray' came from an obituary in the U.S. it is very possible that the family came from somewhere near Bray and not Bray itself.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 October 08 04:17 BST (UK) »
OK, I looked up TOWNLAND at Wikipedia and Think I got it.  Since there is a Townland AND a Town of Bray in Wicklow and Only a Townland of Bray in Kerry I bet my family was from Wicklow.  The townland of Bray in Kerry, what Town is it in?  In an obit in the US I would think the place named would be a Town and not just a townland.

I feel that the Parish would get a mention in an obituary rather than a townland.
In Co. Wicklow you have both the town and townland of Bray in the Parish of Bray.

Offline Finnfam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 May 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
Salmon Family, Bray, Co Wicklow;
I am a descendant of this family, some still live in and around Bray/Greystones.
I have a problem with this family being connected to the spud famine, as they were seamen, and did own their own crafts.
I believe one of my G/grandfathers brothers, pos William?, emigrated to Sates, not sure when, but believe he may gone to New England, I know that's a big place, but have no other info.
Relatives of mine, later immigrants still live in the US.

Hope that helps
Liz

Offline JONESFR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 October 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
Question for 'duffysalmon' response 13
Are you a relative of John Salmon of Railway Terrace Bray 1911 census. (father Patrick Salmon)

Offline Finnfam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 October 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Yes, John (Jack) Salmon is my great grandfather. He married Nellie Rundle Jane, in Calstock, Cornwall, two years previously his brother, Christopher Patrick, married another local girl there. My granddad was Cornelius Salmon, married Annie Brogan, My dad, John (Jack) was their first born.

I recently tripped over this info;

Sent From Rathdown Union Workhouse County Wicklow To North America 1850. (this was basically a clear out of the work house).

7)John Salmon Aged 16 From Bray Co Wicklow (so would have been born about 1834.),
Salmon is not such a common name in Wicklow, so one can assume this young lad an ancestor.

I have not accessed 1911 census yet, so your question answered one of mine, My granddads birth was registered in Tavistock, so he was probably born in Calstock, but I did not know when Jack and Nellie returned to Bray, so thank you for that!.

Hope my bits of info are helpful to you.

Offline Finnfam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 October 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
The daughter Mary (born after the family arrived in NY) married in the US as a Catholic but in the next generation    *I find a record of a son John (b) 1833/34 in Ireland*   being mentioned as Church of England which seems odd to me.  I thought if not Catholic it would be Church or Ireland.  Lea
Please read my last post, the John I mention may be the one you mention above, born 33/34 Ireland, sent to north America 1850, from workhouse, (clear out?).

Offline JONESFR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
Christopher Patrick Salmon from Bray is listed on the Calstock Cornwall 1901 census together with his family however in 1911 his family are in Stockton Durham. Did he stay there or return to Bray.