Author Topic: Sarah Fogden - where are you?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline tecumsah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Fogden - where are you?
« on: Friday 14 March 08 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Since posting the below topic the 1911 census has become available online. Sadly there is absolutely no sign so far of my great grandmother Sarah Fogden. What I know about her is posted below for anybody who is interested.
If you have any memory or any relation who might have been in any kind of relationship with Sarah I would dearly love to hear from you. I know it's a long, long time ago but if she married, which would appear the likeliest reason for us not being able to trace her, and had other children there might just be a chance somebody alive today has  some knowledge of what became of her.
My first post on this topic read:

This is my first ever post, having discovered this site only yesterday.
I am desperately trying to trace what became of my great grandmother, Sarah Fogden, daughter of George and Caroline Fogden (nee Rastall). I have no knowledge of what happened to her after the 1901 census when she worked as a domestic servant for a clergyman Henry W. Bates and his wife Eleonor and lived in at 36, Buckley Road, Kilburn. Also at that address at that time was Frederick T. H. Turner (fishmonger, aged 38, brother of Eleonor) and Harriet Stowe (or Stone) aged 63, descibed as aunt.
Sarah, who was unmarried, had two children - Elsie Butler Fogden, born July 24, 1892, and Frederick Henry Fogden, born September 11, 1899 - who were brought up by her mother Caroline. Sarah became estranged from her family and any information, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, would be very gratefully received. I have no idea whether she ever married or when she died - perhaps she even emigrated. I just don't know.
If anybody in your family knew Sarah or where she might have lived after 1901 or if they knew any of Sarah's brothers or sister - George Jnr, Ellen, William, Thomas or Henry - I be extremely grateful if you could let me know.

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Fogden - where are you?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 March 08 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi tecumsah and welcome Rootschat, you will find us a friendly bunch. Can you help me I have tried to find the 1901 Census details that you mention but I am not able to trace it. Could you give me the reference details please so that I can start from there.
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 March 08 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tecumsah

Don't worry I have found her, the problem was her surname had been transcribed at FOYDEN the ref is RG13/1224/9/9
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Offline tecumsah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 March 08 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, Indaloman, thankyou for your interest. One of the problems - among many - that I've come across is that the Fogden family name has been transcribed in various census and sites as Fagdon, Fagden, Fojden, Foyden, Fadger and even Foxon.
I have been reasonably successful searching back from 1901 but I have no idea how to track a person from 1901 forwards other than waiting for the 1911 census - but even then it doesn't tell us what Sarah might have been doing in the years following. Her mother lived to 91 and her daughter to nearly 86 so Sarah could easily have lived until the 1950s or even 1960s.
You mention the census reference number - is that important when tracking a person? Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for late response, decided to have a couple of days in hospital ;D

The reference is only important to guide anyone to the correct census sheet of the year given, especially when for example, in your case with the mis transcribed name.

I too find it extremely difficult to forward trace from 1901 as one can find plenty of names/ correct area but nothing to make a connection. I think you will have to wait for the 1911 release

Offline tecumsah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear you haven't been in top form - hope all's well. Thankyou for all your help and advice.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 May 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Just noticed mention of Fogden, and wondered if in your tree, you happen to have a Frank Fogden bc 1845 Bury Sussex married a Josephene Lambert and had 5 children...........frank,Arthur, Thomas ,Mary and Christine

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tecumsah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 May 08 12:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Sandie, no. I've noticed during our research an awful lot of Fogdens in the Sussex area - particularly around Westhampnett (I think that's how it's spelt!) - and they've created many problems for us. But I'm certain I haven't come across a Frank. Good luck with your hunt.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 May 08 20:31 BST (UK) »
thanks anyway...........sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk