Author Topic: Sarah Fogden - where are you?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Fogden - where are you?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Housekeeping

Have you found her yet?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline tecumsah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 February 09 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Sadly not, Dawn, but thankyou for enquring.

I hoped that the 1911 census would provide me with a whole new line of investigation but once again Sarah has managed to slip away unnoticed. I can find no record of her at all in the 1911 census - she could have got married, of course, but I've got eyes like saucers after checking and rechecking the lists of weddings between 1900 and 1911 without any joy. She might, in fact, have died in the period between 1901 and 1911 but I don't think so - my grandmother tells me that Sarah tried to contact her by letter just before the First World War but her uncle (my great uncle and Sarah's brother) destroyed the letter without showing it to her. He thought he was doing the right thing, claiming Sarah turning up again would only cause upset for my grandmother! She went to her grave wondering what had become of her mother - very, very sad.
Once again, if anybody out there has any idea what became of Sarah Fogden, born 1873 in Marylebone Workhouse, I'd love to hear from them.
And again, thankyou Dawn for your kind enquiry.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 February 21 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Just noticed mention of Fogden, and wondered if in your tree, you happen to have a Frank Fogden bc 1845 Bury Sussex married a Josephene Lambert and had 5 children...........frank,Arthur, Thomas ,Mary and Christine

sandie

I have Frank Fogden and his two sisters Mary Jane and Sarah, children of Thomas Fogden and Sarah Goodyer. Sarah Goodyer was the sister of my 2 x great grandfather Clement Goodyer
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 February 21 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie

yes that is my hubbies family, Josephine Lambert is sister of Walter Martineau Lambert our Great Grandfather and Frank Fogdens wife and yes Franks parents were Thomas and Sarah Goodyear although I notice all children are in GRO as name Goodger! born Chichester 
Thomas was a widower when they married and there are 3 children from 1st marriage to Harriet Nye.
sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 February 21 12:41 GMT (UK) »
It was usually pronounced Goodger, and I have found both spellings. interchangeably.

Have you any information on Thomas Thorpe Fogden? As far as I can see neither of his brothers married, and although both sisters married, I can't find any children for either.

I am looking into descendants of all Clement Goodyer's siblings as I have a DNA match who I think must be to one of them judging from shared matches with closer known relatives.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 February 21 14:59 GMT (UK) »
funnily enough Thomas Thorpe Fogdon is only one I cant find what happened to him after in 1907 one of his brothers paid for him to go to USA  according to Ellis Island image he was going to an A Blatter
but after arriving disappears ! and yes your right the other 2 boys stayeed with there mum both girls married.
I havent done DNA so cant help there

sandie
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 February 21 15:17 GMT (UK) »
That record mentions his final destination was Toronto. I think I had better start a new thread on the Canada board

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 February 21 15:20 GMT (UK) »
i have tried Canada but the only one seems to be thomas george fogden but you might have better luck do let me know please