Author Topic: TAYLORs of Inveravon  (Read 3656 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
TAYLORs of Inveravon
« on: Friday 14 March 08 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone researching the surnames TAYLOR or STEWART/STUART in Inveravon, Banffshire? I have a bit of a problem with these families! :(

James TAYLOR was born around 1837/1840 in Inveravon. On his marriage in 1860 (aged 20 supposedly), he says his parents are James TAYLOR, excise officer (deceased), and Helen STUART, domestic servant. Since there's no MS (maiden surname), etc), I assume his parents weren't married when he was born. I also take it that Helen is still alive in 1860, although this may be incorrect (can't find her!). :-\

I have found a possible for James in 1851, working as an ag. lab in Marnoch, aged 14, but I can't see a lot for 1841. I have found one living with a Stewart family in Ordiquhill but no sign of Helen. :-\ Same with father James, but I'm not sure how accurate the details are for him!

Any assistance here. It would be much appreciated!! I'm having no luck just now. ::)
hume24

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: TAYLORs of Inveravon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 March 08 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Since there's no MS (maiden surname), etc), I assume his parents weren't married when he was born

You have said that his mother was Helen Stuart on his marriage cert so Stuart was her maiden name

This is a submitted entry on the IGI

James Taylor  Birth:  About 1800   Of Glasgow     
Spouse:  Helen Stewart    Marriage:  26 JUN 1825   

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 March 08 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I understand Stuart was her maiden name. I actually meant that she was just listed as that, rather than Taylor MS Stuart, implying they were not married.

I have looked at that marriage (and birth of a son, James), but that James was a shoemaker so unlikely to be the same couple.

Thanks again,
hume24 :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 March 08 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Sympathies Humes, not an easy one  :-\

Who did James Taylor marry in 1860?

There are a number of possibles entries for him in 1851, including the one with grandparents Robert (a maltser) and Ann in Glenbarron, Marnoch, all showing as born in Inveravon.  But making any link back to 1841 is difficult.

I agree with  you, you are probably dealing with an illegitimate birth and Helen will likely be showing up under another surname if she went on to marry after the birth of James.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 March 08 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

He married Mary Simpson in Fordyce. Her parents were Alexander Simpson and Margaret Smith. Their children include a James and a Helen, so that seems to confirm the names.

I found an 1851 entry for Mill of Cranna, Marnoch. James Taylor, aged 14, b. Inveravon. The job seems to match up with him in his later years but I'm really not sure. :-\

Thanks again,
hume24

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 March 08 20:51 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census will be key. Unless you can find him with some form of family, it will be pretty impossible to connect him back at least to Helen's family - assuming James Taylor was up and away from the scene by then.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 March 08 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hume

Have you seen this entry in 1841:

Christia Stewart 45, b. Scotland
Hellen Stewart    20
John Stewart    20, agr. lab
James Stewart    15
Jane Stewart    12
James Stewart 1

Address: Ramsburn, Rothiemay

Not much more that jumps out on the 1841 entries unfortunately  :-\

Monica

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 March 08 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I hadn't seen that entry! Interesting indeed. I hadn't thought of looking for a James Stewart, rather than Taylor. John and Jane would later be used for James' children's names, so it could be a possible. :)

hume24

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 March 08 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Quite often with illegitimate children, they went by their mother's name in the early years and then adopted father's name in later years. I am not seeing anything whatsoever that would fit for father James Taylor in 1841 in Banff. However, it could well be that given his occupation, he could have been anywhere in the country by 1841. However, I searched by occupation, any location and still nothing obvious.

Monica