Author Topic: HOLLAND Anne in Killeshandra 1880s  (Read 3895 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
HOLLAND Anne in Killeshandra 1880s
« on: Friday 14 March 08 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information on Anne HOLLAND. I believe she was the sister of my great grandmother Mary Holland born 1854 in Nova Scotia. Family history has it that the two sisters came over together. Mary married Patrick Murray in about 1877 though where I do not know. Patrick was at Cavan Barracks in the Royal Irish Fusiliers in the 1880s.

Anne should have been a sponsor at the baptism of one of Mary & Patrick's children, Mary Angelus, who was baptised in Dec 1885. For some reason a Bridget Murphy stood proxy.

Does anyone have any information about Anne Holland in Killeshandra in the 1880s? Did she marry I wonder? Cannot find anything on http://cavan.brsgenealogy.com. Was she actually Mary's sister? Did they come over from Nova Scotia together & if so, why?

SO many questions!!! But there are so many helpful people out there in chatterland, I am hopeful for some answers or perhaps an idea of how to find out.

Many thanks, Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOLLAND Anne in Killeshandra 1880s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 March 08 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Any idea who the parents of Anne Holland (and Mary) might have been? Wondering if there was a military connection to bring girls from Nova Scotia to Ireland. Do you know where in N.S. Anne was born?

Could this be Mary's daughter?:
Johannah Murray born 15 Apr.1877 Old Park dist., Cork, Ireland, dau. of Patrick Murray and Mary Holland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 08 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,

Thanks for your reply. I do not have any ideas as to who Mary's parents were. I have looked & posted on a few Nova Scotia websites with no success as yet but will perservere. On the 1911 Dublin census she says she was born in North America but it is family story that it was Nova Scotia. I have her death certificate but of course that does not give any family information apart from her husband. She may well as you suggesst have been from a military family whose father came to Ireland with his daughters.

The Johannah you found is very interesting. As far as the family knew the eldest child of Patrick & Mary was known as Annie [but that could fit in with Johannah especially if a Roman Catholic priest latinised all names] and no-one knew where she was born. She married a Charles McGinty & I have been unable to trace this couple.

The next child thought to have been born is Vincent ca 1878 but no evidence. With your information it will be worth looking in Cork.  After that they are well documented from Joseph James [my grandfather] in Killeshandra in 1883 through to Mary in 1894 in Dublin. So the family were elsewhere before 1883. According to the 1911 Dublin census Mary was said to have had 11 children of whom 6 survived. We know of Annie [as we thought she was called], Vincent [must have died young], Joseph 1883, John 1884 [died young], Mary 1 1885 [died young], Bridget 1887, Agnes 1888, Kathleen 1890 & Mary 2 1894. So there are 2 children I have not identified and it is likely they were born [and died] between about 1878 - 1832 and 1890 - 1894. Though perhaps Patrick may have been away during the first period - his army record will show where he was.

The military connection too is worth following and my next intended piece of research is to go to Kew to find Patrick's army record. It will show if he went to North America. He was born in Scotland - in Dudhope Castle used as Dundee Barracks in the 19th century. Patrick was 65 on the 1911 Dublin census and stated he was born in Scotland - my aunt always saying he was born in Dundee Barracks. The 87th Regiment of Royal Irish Fusiliers was posted there in 1845-6 so it seems his father was a soldier too - and probably in Cavan. Patrick was in the 89th [Princess Victoria's]. A visit to Kew should then enable me to find out about his father too. Patrick was a staff sergeant in Cavan - Instructor of Musketry & my sister has a silver topped stick inscribed  'to Sgt Murray IoM from Major Brook'. I attach a pic of Patrick with - I presume - this stick of which he must have been very proud. On retirement from  the army he apparently set up a creamery or buttery. 

I have searched the Roman Catholic baptism records for Dundee [kept in Edinburgh] for Patrick's birth but I suspect he was baptised on the family's return to Ireland; again I do not know where. Once I know his father's name hopefully from the army records, I can look with more vigour.   

Another long post, but I appreciate your interest & useful input and information.

Josey
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 March 08 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Could I ask, aghadowey, where you found the Cork record? Are Cork records online at all? I have seen the Cavan & Westmeath ones at brs.genealogy.com and these have been very helpful - but does it cover Cork?

Cheers, Josey

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 March 08 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Winston, just answered my own question & found it on the IGI C006310.

Thanks, Josey

Offline topher1069

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 April 19 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there Cousin,

My Mom's Mom was a HOLLAND and I have the info on Mary HOLLAND who married Charles McGinty :)

Let me know if you still are interested and maybe we can swap info,

Chris
NS, Canada

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 April 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Chris. I do believe we have corresponded in the past & I have a LOT more information since this 2008 post [pleased you found it however, as this Anne Holland is someone I DO not have further info on].

I will email the address I have for the Chris I think you may be - a yahoo.ca one. If this is not you, then if you make one more post on rootschat we can exchange email addresses by personal message.

ADDED: And for anyone else - the Cork family found by aghadowey, although the names of parents Patrick Murray & Mary Holland are identical, is not my family. Patrick was in the army & their 11 children were born all over, and many buried in, Ireland. I have various threads on rootschat where I have received much help with this family [and others].

ADDED 2: Ah, that yahoo.ca email address does not work, got a failure notice - so can you make another post, Chris, please or email the yahoo.co.uk address you may have for me from 2009/2010?