Author Topic: PEDDER, Joseph -COMPLETED with thanks  (Read 3152 times)

Offline ezekiel

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Living in the Land Down Under '
    • View Profile
PEDDER, Joseph -COMPLETED with thanks
« on: Friday 14 March 08 23:22 GMT (UK) »
 I have just received my husband's 3xgreat Grandfather's convict records from Tasmanian Archives and therein it states that Joseph PEDDER was 'Native' to Barnett, Herefordshire .
Joseph was a 21 year old 'bud and graft' gardener before he was sent off to Tasmania for life, the offence was assisting in Highway Robbery by "picking pockets". His estimated year of birth then being c1809.

Thankful for any assistance in finding his birth/christening etc.
GOURLAY; GRAY; HALLIDAY; WILKINSON; NORRIS; AIKEN/AITKEN; SIMPSON; MAHAREY; FIFE;SUMMERTON/SUMERTON/SOMERTON; MANSFIELD; FATHERS;HARDY/HARDEY; NICKS; WILLIAMS; THOMAS; LUDLOW; SYNNETT and others.

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: PEDDER, Joseph
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 08 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ezekiel

Are you sure its Barnett Herefordhire, and not the Chipping Barnet in Hertfordshire

Famliy search has an Extracted Birth record for a Joseph Pedder christened 13 July 1806, Chipping Barnet Hertfordshire, parents Joseph and Sarah.
I canot find a Barnett in Herefordshire ???

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 08 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I found this,

Australian Convict Transportation Registers – Other Fleets & Ships, 1791-1868

Name:  Joseph PEDDER
Vessel:  Southworth 
Convicted Date:  3 Mar 1830
Voyage Date:  23 Jun 1830
Colony:  Van Dieman's Land 
Piece:  HO 11/7 
Place of Conviction:  Hertford 
County of Conviction:  Hertford 

If this is him then it looks like you might be right about the birthplace Ricky :)

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline ezekiel

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Living in the Land Down Under '
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 March 08 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Daisypetal and Ricky1,
Looks like you two may have found him.
I have the copy of the original Convict records sent by Archives Tasmania and on there the places mentioned are definitely Barnett, Herefordshire as Native place and tried in Hertfordshire...I even got my hubby to look at the copy...but I defer to you both in that you two have far greater knowledge than myself on this area of England and it is possible that the Record's officer got the 2 counties mixed up.
It certainly fits with his age so I shall go with that for the moment...the death cert and his will give no further info that helps the case.
Thank you to both of you for being so helpful. Muchly appreciated. :)
Cheers and blessings.
GOURLAY; GRAY; HALLIDAY; WILKINSON; NORRIS; AIKEN/AITKEN; SIMPSON; MAHAREY; FIFE;SUMMERTON/SUMERTON/SOMERTON; MANSFIELD; FATHERS;HARDY/HARDEY; NICKS; WILLIAMS; THOMAS; LUDLOW; SYNNETT and others.

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: PEDDER, Joseph -COMPLETED with thanks
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 March 08 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ezeliel
Your welcome

Hi Daisy
Thanks for the back up info

regards
ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk