Author Topic: buckley hall orphanage rochdale  (Read 10385 times)

Offline casstheo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
buckley hall orphanage rochdale
« on: Wednesday 12 January 05 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where to acces the records from buckley hall orphanage rochdale. My uncles spent a short time there between their mothers death and my grandfathers remarriage in the frame 1912 - 1919 and would like to look them up. Grateful for any info, janet chard
hartles of derbyshire, chards of somerset,collis' of london,raws of manchester

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: buckley hall orphanage rochdale
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

I don't know if this is of interest to you, but there s a book on Buckley Hall Orphanage, Rochdale, sold by MLFHS it cost £3-50.
You will find this info on the following site, which gives details of what is in the book.

http://www.mlfhs.org.uk/Bookshop/local.htm

Or you can just type in... Buckley Hall Orphanage, Rochdale

Cathy  :)

Offline casstheo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 05 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Have got a copy of this book (very intersting)and also one of the mlfhs volumes that has an article in, both by pat gallacher. there is an e-mail address at the end of the article, so sent one to him but vol dated 2001 and the e-mail was reurned as a failure, will search on, many thanks, janet

Offline Pixc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Im not sure if this is of any iterest to anyone here but, I have some photos of children at an Orphanage in Rochdale. Im not sure if its Buckley Hall or not. The photos are taken around 1901-1905 (rough guestamate) One in particular is a group of boys (30 odd) best dressed and they are all brandashing trumpets.  Is there another orphage in Rochdale around that time?. Also, does the book contain any lists of children that lived there? I would like to buy the book, but Im not entirely sure if I have the right orhanage   ???

Offline casstheo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 11:03 GMT (UK) »
your photos are very interesting and i'm sure other people who had relatives in buckley hall at that time will be in touch. unfortunately my uncles were there post 1911, not sure exactly when. as far as i know buckley hall was the only orphanage there. the book can be obtained fro the manchester and lancashire family history society website www.mlfhs.org.uk £3.50, doesnt have a list of boys who stayed there, only ones who died and members of the st georges association (old boys). if in your searching you find a contact address etc for info please let me know (and vice versa) as i would like to know the dates my uncles were there, janet chard

Offline casstheo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 13:01 GMT (UK) »
had a bit of trouble with your last message sending a reply so will send with this one. buckley hall was demolished about 1989 as had structural faults, and a prison built on the site for male prisoners but from jan 2002 female prisoners. book has picture of a brass band  1906 there so your picture could be buckley hall.
janet

Offline TSB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 14:47 BST (UK) »
hi jane.
reading your message about buckley hall.
my father and an uncle where in there.
the years 1919-29.
i have the book all about the home.
there are some very interesting photos in it.
i wrote to the brothers of charity who ran the home,
about records and reply was we did not keep them.
which i find verystrange.
janet did you get the book?
                tsb
winstanley/cheshire
plant/cheshire.
underwood/manchester

Offline lizzey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 August 07 13:30 BST (UK) »
As it was a Manchester/Lancs Catholic children's home, it's quite likely you'll find the records ( depending on the era you're interested in - remember 'records' weren't kept like they are today) at:

The Catholic Children’s Rescue Society
390 Parrs Wood Road
Didsbury
Manchester M20 5NA

It can't hurt to get in touch and make enquiries.

Offline silky3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 November 10 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Im not sure if this is of any iterest to anyone here but, I have some photos of children at an Orphanage in Rochdale. Im not sure if its Buckley Hall or not. The photos are taken around 1901-1905 (rough guestamate) One in particular is a group of boys (30 odd) best dressed and they are all brandashing trumpets.  Is there another orphage in Rochdale around that time?. Also, does the book contain any lists of children that lived there? I would like to buy the book, but Im not entirely sure if I have the right orhanage   ???

Would love a copy of any photos of Buckley Hall boys as my grandfather Laurence Silk and great uncle THomas Silk were there in 1901-1905.  My grandfather played the euphonium in the band. There were orphaned at aged 12 and 10.

Chris