Author Topic: TREASE/TRAIES continued...  (Read 97693 times)

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TREASE/TRAIES continued...
« Reply #432 on: Monday 08 October 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. It opens up a new line of research, when I've time. William BODDY's will was proved on 7th Jan 1617 and is in the National Archives ref PROB 11/129/14.  Elias and Joan weren't happy about it and a court case ensued and is also in National Archives WILLS v SPRYE (C/327/68) - Elias and Joan WILLS v. Hugh SPRYE and others re Personal Estate of William BODY but documents not available on-line. I'll dig around a bit more and update that section of the website. If you find out any more please let me know and I'll do the same. I notice an Elizabeth BODY, wife of William, died on 04Apr1613, possibly an earlier wife of the same William possibly nee SPRY I guess. Once again many  thanks,

Bob

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: Monday 08 October 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob.
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline Peter Selley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: Sunday 22 December 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Couch Jackman

re Summary of the The Will of Jane TOSER, widow of Callington, 1803

http://www.trease.org.uk/traies/txt/txt17w_mb.htm

William Couch JACKMAN bap St Thomas by Launceston (Cornwall) 15 Jun 1764

son of John JAKEMAN = Margery COUCH married South Petherwin (Cornwall) 6 Dec 1756 FindMyPast

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: Monday 06 January 20 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Peter,

Thankyou very much for the two pieces of information. They proved to be the key that unlocked the identities of the numerous beneficiaries of Jane's Will. Please also accept my humble apologies for being so long in getting back to thank you. I've now updated my website
http://www.trease.org.uk/traies/txt/txt17w_mb.htm#jane_toser_1803
with several pages of information about the numerous beneficiaries. Jane seems to have been very methodical about her Will. One question you may be able to answer is - Do you know the parents of John JAKEMAN of St Thomas by Launceston who married 06Dec1756 at South Petherwin? Was it John JAKEMAN & Willmot RAWLINGS? - that echoes the marriage of Elizabeth FOSS nee COUCH to William RAWLING on 21Apr1756. I've found several deaths of John JACKMANS around 1735- 1737 in the area and can't work out which John has died. The Will of John JACKMAN of St Thomas by Launceston - probate 1737 may solve it for me.

Once again, many thanks.

Bob

Offline Dan in Bridford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: Monday 24 February 20 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bob,

Thanks for all your work on [www.trease.org.uk].

I am looking at the children of George Popman/Popham & Elizabeth Bolt who were baptised in Hittisleigh and Drewsteignton between 1784 and 1807.

One of them is the Ann Popham who married John Traies in Crediton in 1814.
Your details are at [http://www.trease.org.uk/traies/txt/txt16s_wb.htm#18j_ap].

I have found a probate granted in 1863 to George Traies regarding his mother Ann Tremlett who died on 11th December 1862 at his home in Cripplegate. That would make her death the one registered in East London.

Dan

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: Monday 24 February 20 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear Dan,

Thank you very much for your kind words and the information which I’ve now included on the website. That confirms beyond any doubt the scenario of the two families of John Traies. Although not obvious from the family tree, John’s uncle William (m. Mary Hooper) was also a mason and father of William TRAIES a moderately well known artist of the time. Incidentally do you have the date of Ann's baptism? - she looks like one of the oldest of their family.

Once again, many thanks,

Bob

Offline Dan in Bridford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: Monday 24 February 20 18:12 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome.

The Hittisleigh Baptism Register for 1785 reads 'Ann the daughter of George and Elizabeth Popham(sic) August the 16th'. She was the second of ten and the records suggests to me that they were all probably born in Drewsteignton.

It looks like she left the employ of Grace Emes when her daughter Jane Harris Emes married Edward Bowring Stephens in Crediton in 1845. They are the two Ann is working for in the 1841 Census and they can be found together in St Georges Hanover Square in the 1851 Census. She must have worked for them since her marriage in 1814 to have accrued 25 years service by 1839. That alone suggests that she is very unlikely to have been the mother of the Mary Ann baptised in 1819 which further supports your belief in John having set up a second home with another Ann in London.

Has anyone seen the details of Ann's marriage to James Tremlett? It is not in the Crediton Church registers, but it would be nice to confirm their parents. Also, was Mary Ann Langley's father Nathaniel LANGLEY if she was a widow?

Dan

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Dear Dan,

Again many thanks for the information. It all helps build up a picture of the lives of these distant relatives whose lives would otherwise be simply forgotten. The reason for Ann leaving her long employment with Grace makes sense - it must have been a stressful time for her but I feel that Grace would have treated her well - she must almost have become part of the family.

It is several years since I trawled through Ancestry and FindMyPast picking up all Devon references I could find to the TREASE surname and derivatives like TRAIES. The surname was often recorded and transcribed incorrectly so I searched for common errors but I failed to pick up Ann TRAIES marriage in the parish registers even though her name is correctly recorded in the central marriage register. At least we know it is a parish in the Crediton Registration District and it is the 1843/44 Winter period.

I’ll have another look to see if I can find it and I’ll also check the image of the John TRAIS/Mary Ann LANGLEY 1852 marriage as I may have copied the record incorrectly.

Regards,

Bob

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: Friday 24 June 22 11:05 BST (UK) »
found this
WYVELL, Thomas (-d.1632), of Wyvellscombe, St. Stephen-by-Saltash, Cornw.
MP SALTASH 1604
?o.s. of Oliver Wyvell of Marystow, Devon by his wife Alice Giggord da. of Thomas Gifford of Halsbury, Parkham, Devon. 
married (1) by 1579, Thomasin Whitford (bur. 9 May 1598), da. of John Whitford of Sconner, Sheviock, Cornw., 1da. d.v.p.;
 (2) 18 Dec. 1628, Joan Dawbyn possibly da. of  Nicholas Dawbyn of Landrake, Cornw (admon. 15 May 1667)  widow of William Body  (admon. 7 Jan. 1617) of Pardaberry, St. Germans, Cornw & widow of Elias Wills (admon. 3 July 1626) of St. Stephen-by-Saltash

Daughter Joan Willis Wyvell married Roger Pomeroy of Brixham

more on Thomas in Parliamentary Histories
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall