Author Topic: Clarke family Nottingham  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
Clarke family Nottingham
« on: Wednesday 19 March 08 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone is aware of any Romani families with the surname of Clark(e) that lived around Nottingham between 1800-1830?
Thanks.
Swift , Matthews, Price , Clarke , Rockley, Dewey, Turton, Wild, Nottingham
Aldread, Brentnall, Cowlishaw Derbyshire
Elliot, The Borders/Nottingham FWK industry
Hartopp, NW Leicester (Barkby and surrounds).
Smith Bilston Staffordshire
Bennett, Calary? Ireland
Johnson, Staffordshire/Warwickshire
Latham, Lewis, Trevor, Vero, Armstrong, Barnett

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
Re: Clarke family Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I only just saw this. I had replied in the names thread but I will repost what I had written there just to save you having to look

I was just looking up Salome and I assume the Salone Asenath Clark (bap. 16th Feb 1830 St. Mary's, Nottingham) is your Salome. It says her father was Joseph and her mother Ann...so was Joseph Ann named after her mother and father (I think that is quite sweet).

I tried looking of Family History Society but can't find either baptism which could have given the father's occupation...it does sometimes.

I looked on the 1841 census and they don't seem unlikely candidates for travellers although it's almost impossible to tell for sure. Do you know Ann's surname? There are definitely Clark gypsies so it is perfectly possible. It is also possible that after the death of her husband she tried to settle down to a less nomadic life.

Do you think either of these are your Joseph Clark who died...they both were buried in the same church as Salome was baptised so there might be a connection.

2. Name Joseph CLARKE Date 21 Feb 1837 Aged 41 Place Nottingham Description St Mary Denomination Anglican County code NTT

3. Name Joseph CLARKE Date 26 Dec 1837 Aged 33 Place Nottingham Description St Mary Denomination Anglican County code NTT

Romany/Traveller:
BLACKMAN, BUCKLAND, BURGESS, DIX, DOBSON, FOLEY, GRANT/PARKER, HUNT, JONES, MUNDAY/MONDAY, MORGAN, NOYELL, ORCHARD, PAGE, REED, VINCENT

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:
BELSHAW, BETTSWORTH, CANE, COVENTRY, DOBSON, FRY,  NURSE, POOK, PUTLAND, PUTT, SMITH, SNELGROVE, TEE, TUDGAY, VENUS/VENESS

Irish:
ANDERSON, KILLOUGH, MACCORMACK, MACROBERTS, MORTON, MOORE, WALLACE

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I just found this marriage...it it them. Same church, same area, right general date...

JOSEPH CLARKE   
    Spouse:    ANN KING   
    Marriage:    
06 JUL 1829     St Marys, Nottingham, Nottingham, England

There are plenty of King gypsies as well by the way... :)
Romany/Traveller:
BLACKMAN, BUCKLAND, BURGESS, DIX, DOBSON, FOLEY, GRANT/PARKER, HUNT, JONES, MUNDAY/MONDAY, MORGAN, NOYELL, ORCHARD, PAGE, REED, VINCENT

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:
BELSHAW, BETTSWORTH, CANE, COVENTRY, DOBSON, FRY,  NURSE, POOK, PUTLAND, PUTT, SMITH, SNELGROVE, TEE, TUDGAY, VENUS/VENESS

Irish:

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Clark/e often turns up as a romany forename. Esp amongst the Grays who intermarried with Smiths and Elliotts of the same area.

I think, esp with that King ref, you may well be on to something....

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,
Yes that is my Salome and I think you're right regarding the marriage...however I have just found Salome's baptism on Freereg and it says Joseph worked as a lawyer  ??? that doesn't seem like a typical Romani occupation...maybe Joseph and Ann's parents were descended from Romani families?! Maybe not, oh well I was just a thought with the strange names!
Just editing this...Lawyer could be a misreading of Sawyer..just waiting for info from Nottingham archives....had a look at the road they lived at and in 1930 it was a slum, can't imagine much changed in 100 years....
Thanks for all your help!
Bennett, Calary? Ireland

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 March 08 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Is a Sawyer something Romani people would have done in the early 18th Century? Also his wife is down on one census as being a small wares dealer as well as making hats. Apparently small wares were ribbons and the like. This was after her husband had died.
Bennett, Calary? Ireland

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 March 08 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Is a Sawyer something Romani people would have done in the early 18th Century? Also his wife is down on one census as being a small wares dealer as well as making hats. Apparently small wares were ribbons and the like. This was after her husband had died.

It wasn't a typical job for a traveller (as far as I know) but I have Romanies that were masons and I knew for certain they were Romani so just because it wasn't typical doesn't mean it isn't possible.

I can definitely imagine travellers selling small wares especially women selling ribbons and the like. It's never cut and dried though, it's usually a case of adding up the clues.

Do you have any photos of this side of the family, what are they wearing, what is their colouring like? Again nothing is certain as many Roma were fair and many non-Roma are dark but it could help.
Romany/Traveller:

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:

Irish:

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 March 08 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've just had Joseph Clark's occupation confirmed by Nottingham Archives, it is a Lawyer.
So maybe not travellers afterall.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Bennett, Calary? Ireland

Offline jakx13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, my Clarke family originally came from Sussex, migrated to Nottingham around that time. My great grandfather was Amos Clarke that was born in Clayton he was full Romany his parents were Amos Clarke and Amy Wheatley they were from Sussex. My great grand aunt Caroline  married into the Smith family