Author Topic: Brennan, McElhinney, Mailey. Walsh. Raphoe Music  (Read 4520 times)

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
Brennan, McElhinney, Mailey. Walsh. Raphoe Music
« on: Thursday 20 March 08 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm still plodding along but have recently received some amazing details re my Brennan's and McElhinney's.

Now have Bernard McElhinney born Maghryhan Raphoe 1876.
Elder siblings Susan and James, probably others also.

Bernard married Susan Ward from Lifford Stranbane, (Susan's father was Anthony Ward)
Bernard and Susan had at least 4 children Anthony (Anton) James, Lizzie and Bella.
Susan died in Manchester 1951, Bernard died sometime earlier.

Lizzie married Joseph Walsh and had a son Martin, he was born in Manchester approx 1946.
Bella married John Mailey the son of the owner of the then, only garage in Raphoe 'Mailey's'.

Bernard McElhinney was a Carrier, having carts and held the contract for collecting mail from the railway station for the Post Office.
He also owned property in William Street Raphoe (now the cycle shop and the cafe)
The shop was then a music shop ran by a Connolly may have been known as McElhinney's Music Shop.

The McElhinney's lived in their property next door to the music shop.
My father Alan Brennan (born 1922/4) lived with the McElhinneys in William Street, attended the National School and went to England with them sometime before 1950.

My father's grandfather Thomas Brennan also lived in William Street, probably with the McElhinney's but I have yet to find more details/connections.

I've just learnt that during that time Raphoe was a thriving bustling town, many concerts were held at the Concert Hall, and the town accommodated many travelling musicians.

Thomas Brennan was by profession, a Concert Promoter and Concert Proprietor, he had also been a  travelling musician and variety act. I'm wondering if Thomas was responsible for arranging the concerts at Raphoe Concert Hall.
We know for certain that at some stage Thomas arranged showings of early movies in Ireland.

I'm told that last year a man from America was in Raphoe asking questions about McElhinney's and Brennan's from Raphoe, did anyone manage to get his details?
There seems to have been at some stage a McElhinney's and Brennan marriage/partnership which has yet to be uncovered.

Can anyone add further light to the above.
Kindest regards Jackie.
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)