Author Topic: Liverpool old courts and housing website  (Read 35437 times)

Offline rubyrose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum - thanks to RC Restorers
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool old courts and housing website
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 October 08 00:57 BST (UK) »
But in any time you like Lynn :-) Your gg grandfather must have had his job near to the abattoirs, not far to travel.

I must admit, I did think that St Andrew Street would be near to the old St Andrew's church in Rodney Street but on investigating no St Andrew Street showed up on the map in that area. There was another St Andrew's church in Renshaw street until the 1870s, but again no St Andrew Street. The only one I can find is the one off Brownlow Hill.

Interesting that your gg grandfather was a butcher as I have just found three generations of my lot who were butchers in Parkgate on the Wirral. Must have been a horrible job in those days.

Regards

Ruby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER - Lancashire, Cheshire, BUCHANAN - Glasgow, Lancashire, LAWRENCE - Jamaica, Lancashire, JONES - Shropshire, Lancashire, SHAWCROSS - Lancashire, India,  MONTAGU - Lancashire, America, MORRISON - Fife, Lancashire, SEDDON DUTTON HESKETH  - Lancashire, WHITEHEAD - Yorkshire, WIDDOWS - Ireland

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 October 08 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruby

Thank you for that.  I went on this early on loads more seems to have been added.

It's one of my favourite sites of all time.

I strikes me as well that it's one of the best documentaries of Innercity housing for the eera in England.  Iknow all cities have their own character, but the structure of courts and scale of living space and shared facilities must have been quite commomn and it would give anyone an insight as to what it was like.

I've never seen as many photo's ort especially as many that go behind the street front.

Thank you again.

I'd lost the link and I'll be returning.

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 October 08 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

The OS plans available as reprints from Alan Godfrey Maps also include reprints of larger scale plans from the mid 19th Century that give the name of the courts.

No 12 Court was probably Pickering Court. The City Engineers followed the same system used for numbering houses, ie first court on the left was No. 1, so No. 12 Court was the sixth on the right. You can often confirm this by following the route the census enumerator took.

The plan you want is the 1848-64 Liverpool (London Road) issue. There are now eight plans in the older series - http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/liverpool.htm

The 1841 Census usually named the court, but later ones usually used the number.

Ken

Offline jansen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 October 08 15:56 BST (UK) »
thanks for the info on st andrew court. now another question. which was the nearest catholic church to this address?  thanks. pat
family names. marsden shuttleworth, boardman, pickup. woods, holmes, gregory, rose or rouse grisenthwaite in blackburn, darwen, bolton, liverpool, west derby,wirksworth derbyshire lathom ormskirk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 October 08 17:03 BST (UK) »
The nearest would have been St Nicholas RC Chapel. The address was probably Hawke Street. It was in a block (with a school) bounded by Copperas Hill, Hawke Street, Blake Street and St Warren Street.

4 St Andrews Court, would have also been known as 4 Hse No. 6 Court, St Andrews Street,  ie the third court on the right from Copperas Hill. It was made up of ten houses.

ken

Ruby...St Andrews was on Renshaw Street/St Andrews Place. It is on the Liverpool (Mount Pleasant) plan.

Offline TonyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 October 08 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

St. Andrew Street is shown on this 1850s Map of Liverpool on my website.

Click on the Kensington sheet (2nd row, 5th col) and scroll down to the bottom.

Tony

Offline rubyrose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum - thanks to RC Restorers
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 October 08 19:57 BST (UK) »
Its is great to see this thread back in action. Tony and Ken, many thanks for the additional information about St Andrew's Street and Tony thanks for reminding me about your website - another great Liverpool website full of useful information.

Does anyone know where Parry's Court was? I think it was somewhere around Old Hall Street but cannot find it on any of my maps.

We're very lucky that Ged Fagan has put all these photographs of Liverpool together for us. Glasgow also has a website showing what housing was like in the 19th century http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/. The Glasgow site was put together by Glasgow City Council's Library Service which makes what Ged has done even more extraordinary.

Regards to all

Ruby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER - Lancashire, Cheshire, BUCHANAN - Glasgow, Lancashire, LAWRENCE - Jamaica, Lancashire, JONES - Shropshire, Lancashire, SHAWCROSS - Lancashire, India,  MONTAGU - Lancashire, America, MORRISON - Fife, Lancashire, SEDDON DUTTON HESKETH  - Lancashire, WHITEHEAD - Yorkshire, WIDDOWS - Ireland

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 October 08 22:55 BST (UK) »
Spookily, I was just thinking about this thread last week, but couldn't locate the site amongst my hundreds of favourites.  :P So thanks for bringing it to my attention.

While we're on a roll, does anyone know where 13a Archer's Terrace, Smithdown Lane, USD would have been? (I know where Smithdown Lane is, but not Archer's Tce). And what does USD mean? (a guess is Urban Sanitary District  ;D). 

An ancestor was born here in 1891.

Offline TonyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 11:36 BST (UK) »
The 1843 Street Directory has the following entries for Parry Court.

1843 Directory
Parry Court, 36, Banastre Street
Parry Court, 7, Bartlam Street
Parry Court, 34, Ormond Street
Parry Court, 11, Upper Pownall Street

I've uploaded a map of Ormond Street : 1864 Map showing Ormond Street, Liverpool

Tony