Author Topic: Liverpool old courts and housing website  (Read 35409 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool old courts and housing website
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

If you have access to the 1891 Census Archer Terrace is in RG 12/2989 Folios 38 and 39. It was at the top (Paddington) end of Smithdown Lane.  You should get a house number in Smithdown Lane next to it to pinpoint it. I don't believe it was a separate street or court. Terraces are often just a short row of houses that are stepped back from the main house line, to make them look different. There is one such block on the 1906 Liverpool (Edge Hill) plan but it is not named. The census will also tell you how many families shared the terrace

Ken

Offline jansen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
i have the death certificate of a relative that died at 25 royal street in 1881. would this have been a private address as he actually lived in lancaster street walton at the time. i see from todays maps that royal street still is in existence. also where would wyatt street have been in 1883. its no longer on any maps. pat
family names. marsden shuttleworth, boardman, pickup. woods, holmes, gregory, rose or rouse grisenthwaite in blackburn, darwen, bolton, liverpool, west derby,wirksworth derbyshire lathom ormskirk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation Ken. I don't have census access at the moment, but will examine the map to try to pinpoint Archer Tce.

On the 1871 census I have a family living at 3 in 2 Court, Fairclough (with a question mark) Lane, West Derby. This sounds like a more depressed area of housing. Are you familiar with a Fairclough Lane, and do you know of any maps which show the Lane or Court?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 23:51 BST (UK) »
OK disaster!

The "toxteth.net" site has closed!!!!!!

Sorry, that's slightly off topic, but how disappointing.

:'(

Offline rubyrose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum - thanks to RC Restorers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the Map, Tony. The family's children were all christened in St Paul's Church in St Paul's Square so this must be the right Parry's Court.

Ruby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER - Lancashire, Cheshire, BUCHANAN - Glasgow, Lancashire, LAWRENCE - Jamaica, Lancashire, JONES - Shropshire, Lancashire, SHAWCROSS - Lancashire, India,  MONTAGU - Lancashire, America, MORRISON - Fife, Lancashire, SEDDON DUTTON HESKETH  - Lancashire, WHITEHEAD - Yorkshire, WIDDOWS - Ireland

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

Fairclough Lane went from Pembroke Place to Prescot Street. It started at the six-way junction at the end of Pembroke Place. It was just over the border in Low Hill, WD Union.

You need three of the 1906 reprinted plans - Central Liverpool, North and Newsham Park - to cover the whole length. It is difficult to tell if No2 court was there in 1906. You will have to look at the census. The 1848 - 64 (London Road) plan has the very end of the lane, which is not named. Alan Godfrey Maps haven't published the next sheet to it yet. They may not, as it is over the border. It is Sheet 26 in the 1:1056 Series you need.

If no one has it on here. You can order it from a stockist of OS Historical Maps for about £40 I believe. Or try LRO or the British Museum.

ken

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your helpful suggestions. I'll see what I can uncover.  ;D

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 19:45 BST (UK) »
A lot of those old Courts were still around in the 1950's.

dark dreary places.   The Life and Times of Kitty Wilkinson tell the storie of the families that lived in those places.

Offline GedFagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your support and comments regarding the site and books. I notice St Andrews Street gets a mention and as if by magic, well pure coincidence actually, that area has the last photographs i've added to that page. I'll be down at the LRO the coming weekend and adding more next week with a bit of luck. If anyone has any special requests, i'll see what I can do but they only let you get 3 look ups per 20 mins out these days. Bah!!!