Author Topic: Anthony Royal 1851  (Read 6170 times)

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Anthony Royal 1851
« on: Friday 21 March 08 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Anthony Royal age 60 lived in Yarmouth with his family in 1841.

Can anyone see him in the 1851 census?  He died in 1857.

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Royal 1851
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 08 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

Is this him in 1851

Anthony Royal mar 73 greenwich pensioner Norfolk Yarmouth
Ann           "     wife mar 62 or 68                        "   Horning?
Robert       "     son u/m 30 lab                            "    Yarmouth

living at Row 23, Grt Yarmouth, Norfolk
H0107/ 1806
folio 510
page 44

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 March 08 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ricky, good to hear from you again.

Yes, the info looks good. Thanks

Bob

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 March 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

Your welcome , long time no speak

regards
ricky ;)
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JackieWA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 August 08 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob.  I am also tracing Anthony Royal.  He is my GGGG Grandfather.  Are you related, and are you able to help me with my never ending amount of questions re the Royal Family.
Thank you
Jackie
Australia

Offline Mike Emeny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 January 10 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

I have been doing some research on Anthony Royal as he is my GGGG Grandfather. What an interesting character he seems to be. As you can see in the Census, he is a Greenwich Pensioner. I have searched to find out if he was Merchant or Royal Navy and I have found him. He was listed as Thomas Reed onboard HMS Spartiate at the battle of Trafalgar. He is also was known as Anthony Royale who was born in 'North Yarmouth'. His rank was that of Boatswains Mate, which as I understand is an Non Commissioned Officer. His job would have been to keep the ship working and the men in line. A hard man not to be messed with! I have still to find out why he had two names - very intrigueing! HMS Spartiate was lucky to not have many casualties - only three, however together with HMS Taurus they captured the Spanish ship 'The Neptuno'. The Captain was given the 'Union Jack' from the Spartiate as a reward. This sole surviving Union Jack was recently sold at Auction for around £350,000 to an American. If only I had the money!
His first son 'Robert Richard Royal' was a very bad character. He was tried for the murder of Harriet Chandler, but due to early policing methods was aquitted. Samuel Yarman was found guilty and was hung. 30,000 people came to the hanging. It is very clear that Robert Royal killed the shopkeeper and was a known theif and generally bad man. His father 'Anthony' is mentioned as gathering support by other Yarmouth traders to 'lean' on officials. It paints a picture that our Royal family were not to be messed with. The story of the murder is beautifully written in Maurice Morson's book 'Mayhem and Murder in Norfolk'.
Luckily I descend from James John Royal, Anthony's 4th son    :)

Offline Gryffrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My wife is also decended from James John Royal, Anthony Royals son! I too have Anthonys papers and a couple of pictures of HMS Spartiate from Greenwich museum.

We would love to hear from you and would be willing to share all our info with yourself, albeit there is not a lot, just the usual census returns and a few certificates. We also have a photo of J J Royals gravestone.

Offline Mike Emeny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James John Royal
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 March 11 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply and yes I would love you to send me the photo of James John Royal's  grave stone. I have found the probate records for James and his affects valued at his death was £13,047 14s 5d....This equates to over £1 million pounds in todays money. Not bad! I wouldlove to find out how he amassed this fortune. I wonder if I ever will.
My email is (*)
Cheers
Mike Emeny

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ESMAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 March 11 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The story of the murder was interesting if im not mistaken wasnt a Hall also involved ? [ im connected to Hall ] also in my tree one of my relatives married George Thomas Royal son of James John Royal [Runham ] Norfolk .