Author Topic: GRO Index  (Read 777 times)

Offline easy12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
GRO Index
« on: Friday 21 March 08 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
     I am trying to trace a relation of mine who, according to oral family history, drowned at sea. I have traced a possibility on the "deaths overseas" and " Marine deaths" but how do you get the GRO reference number from this ( I wish to order a Death Cert for, hopefully, more info). I have a page number, a number at the top of the sheet that his name appears on, date of death, date of notification and ship name and number. Is, like an ordinary death cert, the reference number a combination of some of these or something that I would not be able to work out. Any advice here would be most welcome.
easy12
Phillips-Suffolk,Middlesex,Sussex,NZ
Edwards-Sussex,USA
Read-Dorset,Sussex, Canada?NZ
Welch-Sussex, Surrey, Ireland?
Stanley(Romany)-Sussex area
Temple-Middlesex
Phelps-Glos,Middlesex,USA

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: GRO Index
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 08 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi easy12.

this is the link to the GRO site which should tell you all you need to know
http://www.rootschat.com/links/031n/

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline easy12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 March 08 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ecneps,
                   yes thanks for that. I was actually trying to give the GRO Index number as it was a GRO Index that I picked up the info on. I thought it strange that I couldn't get the number needed from the GRO Index itself as I thought that's what it was for and perhaps I was missing something. I have the name "Phillips" with no initial or age and so I do not hold out a great deal of hope but you never know. Thanks again for your reply.
easy12  :)
Phillips-Suffolk,Middlesex,Sussex,NZ
Edwards-Sussex,USA
Read-Dorset,Sussex, Canada?NZ
Welch-Sussex, Surrey, Ireland?
Stanley(Romany)-Sussex area
Temple-Middlesex
Phelps-Glos,Middlesex,USA

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 March 08 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I should give them the reference number and as much information as you can when applying, I've just been looking at the application forms and it might be better to email them and ask for instructions!

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK