Author Topic: JEFFRIES ENGLAND TO CANADA  (Read 10455 times)

Offline soxie

• My email address is no longer working and I have tuned off notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JEFFRIES ENGLAND TO CANADA
« on: Saturday 22 March 08 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the familyof ADA JEFFRIES who went to Canada in 1913 on the ship ROYAL GEORGE She took with her at least 5 children

ANNIE        age 19   b. ASTON BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND
 JOHN          age 16              "                "                 "
 ADA            age 11              "                "                 "
 ARTHUR      age 10              "                "                 "
 DOROTHY   age   6        "                "                 "     

The last known address for them was

161  COURCETTE  ROAD
   TORONTO
   ONTARIO.

ADA was born in ASTON BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND maiden name LOCK.
 She married JOHN JEFFRIES and was  widowed in 1911

I would love to be in touch with any descendants.

Latchford. Birmingham England.
Whale.            "                 "
Herbert.   London England.
Jeffries.    Aston, Birmingham England to Canada

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: JEFFRIES ENGLAND TO CANADA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 March 08 03:33 GMT (UK) »
You can search for the military papers.

Attestation Papers
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/cef/index-e.html

You can also search the ship manifest for free. (It might tell you what the intended destination was)

Passenger Lists ("Royal George" - 1913)
http://tinyurl.com/37epka

Janice

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 March 08 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Ontario marriages:
Daughter Ada married:
18 Dec 1918 Hastings County Ontario
Ada JEFFRIES married Causal ARNOTT
She said she was 20, born England and a resident of Belleville.
She gave her parents names as John W JEFFRIES and Ada Mary LOCKE

Daughter Annie married:
16 Dec 1915, York County Ontario
Annie Elizabeth JEFFRIES married Frank Hamilton DOWNER
She said she was 21, born Birmingham England and a resident of City of Toronto
She gave her parents names as John William JEFFRIES and Ada May LOCKE

Not sure if this is your postings,
http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?s=47a3f68f08d16999a7fb795ff8770ffd&t=12001&page=2

But it says the Toronto address you gave above was that of daughter Dorothy Isabel -------- nee JEFFRIES, from abou 15-20 yrs ago...

Cheers
AMBLY

edit: name of Annie's husband  - his name was Frank Hamilton DOWNER. It was is father who was Francis Edward DOWNER

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 March 08 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Here is Annie's husband Frank Hamilton Downer

Attestation Papers
http://tinyurl.com/ypmup8
http://tinyurl.com/ynlf3g

Janice

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline soxie

• My email address is no longer working and I have tuned off notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 March 08 10:08 GMT (UK) »

Janice M and Ambly  :)

I do thank you both so very much for your time in posting the above.

Yes it is my post on the Birmingham site Ambly.

The finding of Ann and Ada's marriage is very exciting, maybe I will be able to trace any living descendants  :)

Is there anyway I am able to trace ADA (snr)'s death?

Again, I thank you for all your help.
Latchford. Birmingham England.
Whale.            "                 "
Herbert.   London England.
Jeffries.    Aston, Birmingham England to Canada

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 March 08 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Soxie

I had a good search for Ada Snr, and for the other of her children too - but wasn't finding anything.

You might want to consider this web site:
http://pagesofthepast.ca/

It's a site for digitised records  of the Toronto Star newspaper from 1894-2004. It's  a pay site - but on the plus side, you can pay for as little as an hour's access for $3.95 CAN Dollars. You might just be lucky enough to find an obituary of either Ann snr or her married daughters, or their spouses - and with it, a list of names of the family.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline treleavan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 March 15 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello to Soxie, Ambly and Janice M.

Greetings from Canada. Yes, you do have living relatives here. Me and my cousin. I don't know about anyone else.

My grandmother was Annie Elisabeth Jeffries, the oldest of the "fabulous five", who made it to York (now Toronto, Ontario).

My aunt was Dorothy Isabel, on the other end of the scale.

Both lived in Scarborough, Ontario. Both married. Annie ( Grammie) married Francis Hamilton Grant Downer. He was Irish. They met in Scarborough soon after they both arrived here. They had two daughters, Marjorie Delphine and Frances Ann. They grew up and lived in Scarborough, Ontario where they lived on Courcellette Road.

Mom ( Frances) was born in 1930. Aunt Marjorie was born in 1916. Both have passed away.

I'm Frances' daughter. I'm an only child. I live in Québec, Canada. My cousin, Johanne, is Marjorie's daughter. She lives in Vancouver.

As for Aunt Dorothy, she also passed away in or around 1999 in Scarborough, Ontario. She married Wynn Hays. They moved to a house on Lyndale Road where Mom, Grammie and me went every year at Easter and Christmas. Grammie ( Annie) lived with me and mom from the time I was 7 untill I was 14.

So you do have family here. Who are you to the Jeffries? Cousins? Yes!!

By the way, Janice M. posted a picture of a military officer and two young children. I presume that's Francis Edward, my greatgrandfather. I suppose the little boy is my grandfather ( please confirm if you know. The little girl ressembles his sister Gladys. Where did you find the picture?

As for the rest of the 5 children, I know Jack ( John) married and had a son ( Ken). Arthur moved out to British Columbia. He married Yvonne.

You know more about Ada than I do. Did Ada have any children? Belleville is not that far from Toronto. I would love to know if I have any family left in Ontario.

I'm new to this site. I don't know yet how to reply to each of you individually so I'm posting this.   

Are you my cousins in Birmingham from Ada's side? I Can you tell me about her. Brothers, sisters? Do you communicate off line or only on the site?

Hope to hear from you!

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 March 15 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to disappoint, but the photo is my avatar, and in it are my grandfather James Baskerville and two of his children.

Janice

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 March 15 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Treleavan

Welcome to RootsChat

Unfortunately the original poster had not been online since October of 2010 which is a shame.  :'(
Have sent a personal message to them just in case they are not receiving notifications.
If nothing does materialize and you wish to research the UK side of your family, then just shout, always someone willing to help.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada