Author Topic: Glasgow Shipping Co. Does anyone have a uniform (Hat/Cap logo Picture)  (Read 773 times)

Offline galaxydreaming

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Hi there, I am in the process of researching an ancestor, and I need to clarify the logo on a cap/hat in a picture I have of my g grandfather is Glasgow Shipping Co. or Clyde Shipping Co... I am pretty sure it is G. S. Co because he searched on a ship Loch Tay but I was hoping for anybody who may have a relative in a picture with the uniform (particularly that cap) so that I can compare?

If you need a picture to check, I have another post under the title Challenging Ancestor in the Beginners forum.

Thanks to anyone in advance if you can help  :)
Linconshire, Saleby, Spilsby, Strubby
Wellington NZ
Bell, Croskery, Hooper, McClelland

Offline leighton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow Shipping Co. Does anyone have a uniform (Hat/Cap logo Picture)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 March 08 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello again galaxydreamer,

The cap badge on the photograph on your other posting is of the Clyde Shipping Company, C.S.C. This is actually from the house flag of the company.

The Glasgow Shipping Company (also known as Aitken Lilburn & Company (Loch Line)) would have shown G.S.C.

Have a look at this site for the house flags of shipping companies:

http://www.fotw.us/flags/gb~hf.html

Also, this next site will give you details of the shipping companies themselves:

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/index.htm

leighton

Offline galaxydreaming

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 March 08 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your answer  :)

I have checked both these sites and I can't see how the logo resembles Clyde. S. Co as their logo has a tower in it, looking closely at the flag on the cap in the picture it is the acronym in a flag with leaves/ferns around the flag, really the lack of the tower doesn't convince me.  The other thing that makes me think it is G. s Co is because he worked on the Loch Tay and in the 2nd site you sent you can see the Loch Tay in the fleet of  Aitken, Lilburn & Co. / Glasgow Shipping Co. / General Shipping Co. / Loch Line.

It be fair even I, who has a smaller picture of better quality, finds it hard to determine if the first is a C or G...   

Thank you again for your reference to the websites
Still looking for the Glasgow logo if anybody has it?
Linconshire, Saleby, Spilsby, Strubby
Wellington NZ
Bell, Croskery, Hooper, McClelland

Offline leighton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 March 08 12:32 GMT (UK) »
galaxydreamer,

I think that you are right about the cap badge being G.S.C. and not C.S.C. Looking again for information regarding the Clyde Shipping Company, I found this site.

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/Flags/gb~hfcl.html

Apparently the flag showing the letters C.S.C next to a lighthouse only came into use in the 1920's. Before then the penant was much different as you can see.

As The Glasgow Shipping Company only has the letters G.S.C. on a red penant, this is probably what is shown on the cap badge.

leighton