Author Topic: Nespaper Lookup  (Read 878 times)

Offline jimbohodge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Nespaper Lookup
« on: Thursday 13 January 05 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello everybody!!

I was wondering whether anybody would be at all kind enough to look through an old newspaer for me for an incident that was reported in there.

The incident happened in either of the areas of Tea Green or Cockernhoe, Herts. So i am under the knowldege that it would have appeared in the Hitchin newspaper.

The grandmother told me the story and said she remembered seeing it in a newspaper. It happened around 1936, this may be one or two years off!!

The incident is about a woman with surname 'Woodward'.
Her dog, was supposed to have killed some chickens and slung them up a tree. 'Winifred Woodward' went to court and made a joke of this saying, "how could a dog through chickens up a tree?"
My grandmother said that the headline for the report was along the line of the following... 'Laughter in court'

I really do hope that somebody can help as it would liven up my family history and would also mean ever so much to my grandmother.

Thanks
Jimbo

Jamesuk1

Re: Newspaper Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 05 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Jimbo,

From what I can see, There are two papers that span that period:

Hertfordshire Express and Hitchin, Letchworth & Stevenage Gazette (The) 
Hitchin; Hertfordshire; England
1913-1938 

and

Hertfordshire Pictorial 
Hitchin; Hertfordshire; England
1932-1955 

These are both listed on the British Library website in the newspaper catalogue. Please see the link below:

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/newspapers/

The staff at the library may be able to help, but you would need to be much more specific - month, date or issue number.

There may be other papers, but these are the ones on the British Library Catalogue. If there is such a thing as a Hitchin Records Office or suchlike, you may be able to get them to do a search (but you can bet your bottom dollar they'll charge!!) or of course you can ask the Court (if you know which one it was) when the date of the Trial was.

The phone number for the Newspaper Library is:

020 7412 7353

If you wanted to go there yourself, you would need to take some ID with a signanture, like a Bank Card, Driving Licence, or Passport.

Good luck, let me know if you have any further info,

James