Author Topic: Looking for my welsh Grandfather  (Read 5150 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for my welsh Grandfather
« on: Monday 24 March 08 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone advice me how I go about getting my Grandfathers army records.  I am told that he was reported missing in WW1, his name was Thomas John Roberts, born 1880 (although daughter maintains that he was born Aug 1879 he is actually registered as born 1880).  He lived in Bourneville Road Blaina, with his wife Sarah Ann (nee Austin) and with his 6 children.  His wife gave one of the children, a baby. away when she discovered that her husband was missing presumed Dead, to her dearest friend.
He was found in a French hospital, and was returned to his family in Wales. I am told he then returned to the battle front, & lived after the war ended.

I would be eternally greatful.
Regards Trish

Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my welsh Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 March 08 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Have you checked for the year of his death on the CWGC website which will give you some additional info as well - Service number and place died/buried etc

If you know his service number it would be very useful as there are quite a few Thomas John Roberts listed

www.cwgc.org
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your quick answer, but I am after his service registration number, I was told that I could find it on the Absent Voters list for S Wales.  I was told that he was a Seargeant Major in the Welsh Borders regiment.  But as I said I really dont know much about him, as he was living in Blaina & I live in South of England, quite along trek!  Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline kitman64

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 April 08 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish , if your still looking for your rellies service number write to Martin Everet CURATOR at the borders musium at brecon  e-mail swb[at]rrw.org.uk
once he has located him he will mail you back, they require a 10 pound donation before releasing the number

reflagman

Offline ladysmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 April 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish - The only T. Roberts of the South Wales Borders who died in WW1 is 20956 Pte. Tom Roberts of the 10th Battalion. He died of wounds in France/Flanders 10/11/1917. He was born in Shaftesbury and enlisted and resided in Tredegar.

The Welsh Regiment has a Thomas John Roberts who was KIA but he was from Nantymoel near Bridgend. There are no T. Roberts from anywhere in Monmouthshire.

Regards, David

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 April 08 09:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry to sound thick!  But what is KIA?  That Thomas John Roberts sounds as though he could be the right one, He was born & brought up in Blaina/Nantyglo,  and actually married there.  Thank you will email this certainly looks good.
Regards Trish

Offline ladysmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 April 08 13:10 BST (UK) »
KIA = Killed in action. Actually I got a bit sidetracked by mention of the CWGC website in another response and it was only as I posted my reply I realised that, although originally posted as missing presumed dead, you had mentioned that he survived the war.

Regards, David

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Trisha

You will probably have to wait until Ancestry have finishing publishing surviving service records for men discharged 1914 to 1920. These are for men who either died or survived without being discharged with a war pension.

932 men called Thomas Roberts received medals for WW1, so you will have to keep your fingers crossed that your man can be found using his DoB and/or address once Ancestry have finished the Rs.

Ken

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 12:08 BST (UK) »
Would anyone advice me how I go about getting my Grandfathers army records.  I am told that he was reported missing in WW1, his name was Thomas John Roberts, born 1880 (although daughter maintains that he was born Aug 1879 he is actually registered as born 1880).  He lived in Bourneville Road Blaina, with his wife Sarah Ann (nee Austin) and with his 6 children.  His wife gave one of the children, a baby. away when she discovered that her husband was missing presumed Dead, to her dearest friend.
He was found in a French hospital, and was returned to his family in Wales. I am told he then returned to the battle front, & lived after the war ended.

I would be eternally greatful.
Regards Trish

I think we have missed something here  ::)...He apparently survived... ;D

Have you tried searching the archives of the local paper from whence he came?

A number of missing and KIA / DOW pics were published in many local rags at the time...So if he was missing presumed dead untkl found...He might have been published as such...
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.