Author Topic: BASSINDALE/BASSINGDALE - North Lincolnshire  (Read 14334 times)

Offline ClarrieLou

• I am sorry but my emails have stopped working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
BASSINDALE/BASSINGDALE - North Lincolnshire
« on: Tuesday 25 March 08 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I've got a bible belonging to the BASSINDALE/BASSINGDALE family.

The inscription in the front reads:

Samuell Bassingdale
East Butterwick
The gift of his mother
May 23 1859

Hannah K Bassindale
Ealand
The gift of her father
Mar 10 1874

And in the back it says:

Nancy Bassindale
Died Dec 6 1868
at Ealand
Aged 69 years and 10 months

[repeated in different handwriting]

Fanney Thorntton
Died Feb 9th 1870
Aged 62 years

John Bassindale died
January 6 and was buried
January 8 1880
aged 80 at a quarter past 4 in the morning

William Stanley died
May 9 and was buried
May 13

I haven't quite decihered the other two names; one is definitely 'Rebecca' -- although the surname is not clear -- who died January 14 1900, the other could read 'Johnrichard Elliott died March 1 and buried March 3'.

The bible was found in a barn of my great aunt, who lived in the Whitgift region of Yorkshire!

Offline gellgirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BASSINDALE/BASSINGDALE - North Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 June 08 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Just browing rootschat when I came across your message.  My mother's family were Bassindale (of Belton in Axholme) and, although I can't connect the names in the family bible that you have, it is interesting that it was found in Whitgift.  One of my ancestors, Edward Bassindale married in Whitgift and I am assuming this was because his wife (Elizabeth Leggott) was from there.  Though they are in different counties Belton and Whitgift are only a few miles apart so perhaps there is a connection - Bassindale is not a very common name.

Offline julieriddiough

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 11:46 BST (UK) »
hiya i saw your post that you had family from the Belton /Axeholme areas.

My grt grt grandads Brother and sister both Married Bassindales (who were brother and sister)

Lucy Riddiough  married Alfred William Bassindale, his sister Minnie married Arthur Riddiough (lucy's brother)

Minne and Alberts Parents were John Bassindale and Suasannah Ellmer.  there other children were called, George, Ada, Arthur, Annie, Sarah, John and Alice (well that waht i have so far)

I would be interested to find out about Minnies Children and Alberts children top see if i can find any distant cousins anywhere.
Brotton History Website - www.communigate.co.uk/ne/brottonhistory
RIDDIOUGH FAMILY - www.riddiough.com

Riddiough - Brotton, Shipley
Trinder - Berkshire, Loftus
Marsay - Whitby, Brotton, Boosbeck
Yeoman - Whitby, Loftus, Brotton
Harris - Loftus, Devon
Sibly - Cornwall, Brotton
Spargo - Devon
Pulford - West Yorkshire
Ward - Loftus
Leach - Shipley, Baildon, Saltaire

Offline ClarrieLou

• I am sorry but my emails have stopped working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 August 08 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hiya both,

I don't think I'm related to any Bassindales so I'm a bit curious as to how the bible was found in a family barn!

That said, Gellgirl, I think some of the family of my great aunt lived in Belton/Luddington areas, so there may be a connection!

Offline Rakker6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 November 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello ClarrieLou
                           my grandmother was Ada Mary Bassindale and her father was John Bassindale Liceuised Vichuller but i cant find birth cert for her,on her marriage cert in 1892 her father was already decceased so just wondering if the John you mention was her father,she was born about 1869
Regards Rakker6

Offline julieriddiough

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 November 10 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I have an Ada Bassindale born about 1866 in Belton in Axholme, but she died in 1868 her father was John Born abort 1842, Agrigultural labourer., mother was Susannah Elmer  i  will let you know if i find your Ada
Brotton History Website - www.communigate.co.uk/ne/brottonhistory
RIDDIOUGH FAMILY - www.riddiough.com

Riddiough - Brotton, Shipley
Trinder - Berkshire, Loftus
Marsay - Whitby, Brotton, Boosbeck
Yeoman - Whitby, Loftus, Brotton
Harris - Loftus, Devon
Sibly - Cornwall, Brotton
Spargo - Devon
Pulford - West Yorkshire
Ward - Loftus
Leach - Shipley, Baildon, Saltaire

Offline Rakker6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 November 10 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julieriddough
                       Thank you i have looked everywere for her birth but cant find her at all,hope you have better look
Rakker6

Offline carriemarie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 July 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just seen this post.  I'm a descendant of the aforementioned John Bassindale and Susannah Ellmer - Their son George is my Great Great Grandfather.  George moved from Belton to South Elmsall, Yorkshire and had quite a few children, and this branch of the family are mostly buried at Moorthorpe Cemetery there; even today some of "our" Bassindales are buried there.  It's interesting, we consider ourselves a Yorkshire family, but digging deeper if appears we're from Lincolnshire!!  So interesting also that 2 of George's siblings married siblings from another family!  Would love to hear from anyone with more Bassindale information  Rakker6 - Regarding Ada Bassindale, I have George's sister Ada as being born 1866 and hers and George's father John born 1842 and dies in 1919 (and this is definitely correct because this is the John who was married to Susannah), so your grandmother must be a different Ada given her father was deceased by her marriage in 1892.  Looking at census records I can see another John Bassindale, also from Lincolnshire, and born 1848, so slightly later than my John.  He was married to Mary.  However, he is recorded in the 1901 census, so again can't be your John.  I don't know what to suggest??

Offline janalangreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello, my grandmother, Florence Bassindale, was born in the Tower of London in 1871 to her Grenadier Guard father Thomas and his wife Annie Scott. They were married in Montreal, Canada in 1863. At the same time and in the same regiment in Canada, there was a Quartermaster Sergeant Edward Bassindale, married to Sarah Cook, who went on to become in 1864 the Quartermaster (an officer) of the Grenadiers. I cannot find him among the Axholme Bassindales. Can anyone help, please?