Author Topic: McClures of Gatehouse  (Read 2736 times)

Offline jackie3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McClures of Gatehouse
« on: Tuesday 25 March 08 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help please.  I'm trying to find any information about the McClures who lived in Gatehouse, in particular my Gt.Gt. Grandfather, John McClure born abt. 1762, died 1847. He married Margaret Brown who was born 1786, died 1850.  I suspect she may have been his second wife. In 1841 they were living in Fleet Street (North), Gatehouse, with their youngest son, Alexander, aged 12 (my Gt. Grandfather).  John is shown on the census as aged 79 years, independent.  All I know about him is that at some stage he was a baillie.  On his sons' marriage certificates he is recorded as a Gentleman, so I have no idea what his original occupation was.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McClures of Gatehouse
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 15:11 GMT (UK) »
If you go on to Scotlands people and search for McClure in the Testaments section ( bottom right) you will find several listings which may be of interest, including:

McClure John 12/02/1822 merchant in, and one of the Bailies of Kirkcudbright. Bond of Caution Kirkcudbright Commissary Court CC13/6/128

McClure Margaret ,Mrs 26/06/1850 alias Brown, widow of John McClure, of Gatehouse of Fleet   Kirkcudbright Sheriff Court SC16/41/17

These look likely to be your family given the information you provided. There are also some entries that may be your Alexander.

I hope this helps.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline jackie3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McClures of Gatehouse
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KirstyG for the information.  I will certainly check it out.