Author Topic: stewart family of shambellie  (Read 23141 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: stewart family of shambellie
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I've been searching for wills for George M*ckenzie and can't find any on either the Scotland's People website or the National Archives site which is very strange.

I have the MIs for all of the Kirkcudbrightshire parishes but unfortunately, I don't have them here. I'll have a look next week when I'm back home.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 10:13 GMT (UK) »
At the moment this is needles and haystacks searching. The only Marion (alternatives) Stewart that I can find bpt. New Abbey is:

29 August 1703 - daughter of William Stewart.

As I say, They could have married and been baptised anywhere in the area or Edinburgh, etc.

I think it might be worth your while subscribing to the Scotlands People website

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

it's pay to view and I've used up a few of my own units already.

The other source is the IGI:

http://tinyurl.com/5kwh

which is free.

Regards

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've been looking at the chart from the strnet ref that I gave earlier

I see a Lillias Stewart listed who married David Staig, Provost of Dumfries. Her parents were Charles Stewart of Shambellie (1705-1775) and Anne/Lilias Hay, daughter of James Hay of Dumfries.

Charles Stewart's parents were William Stewart of Shambellie (1660-1735) and Marion Stewart (?-1751).

There is no mention of Marion(alts) and George M*ckenzie on the chart. Although it looks possible that Marion was a younger sister to Lilias and named Ann as Hay Mackenzie after her mother. This just possible/probable.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 11:20 GMT (UK) »
It might also be worth your while contacting the Scottish Genealogical Society:

http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/library.htm

They have lots of genealogies that can be searched.

Gadget

Offline crackpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just saw all the info you have found thanks very much!!! I actually have just started to subscribe to the Scotlands People so will do some deeper looking there. Will also check more into the IGI which I have done but have not had much luck so far. Is that one website you mention Stirnet? I found that one but need to subscribe to that one also which I am thinking to try out for a short time.

Thanks again
Crackpot
Male --Cheshire
Thorburn--Cheshire, Liverpool, Plymoutrh devon, Cheltenham
Tailyour--Scotland, Devon

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi crackpot - I don't subscribe to stirnet - what I did was get the first bit up and do a hasty print screen, then the second bit, etc. Then printed it out and found the bits that looked relevant  ::)

Gadget  :)

Offline Southerner

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 January 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I just found your references to the Stewarts of Shambellie.  I have only read a small amount of your correspondence so not certain how much you already know.  I can probably tell you quite a lot as I have my complete family tree going straight back to the 1090

My G.G.G. Grandfather was William Stewart (1750-1844) and I have an oil painting of him in my hallway. His sister was Marianne or Marion who married George Mackenzie of Netherwood.

You probably know by now that several generations of Stewarts had daughters with the name Marion or variations of it such as Mary Anne and Marianne.  My own Great Aunt was Mary Anne Stewart so the tradition was carried on until at least the 20th century.

I hope this is of interest to you and if you like I can send you a photo of my portrait of William Stewart.

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 February 09 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget!

Sorry to intrude in the discussion, but I am curious  :P  How come you have a different URL for the LDS Familysearch website? I always check out the liks you suggest and they have led to many interesting hours, but this one was was unexpected ... a familiar place with a different key?

Scatza

http://tinyurl.com/5kwh

which is free.

Regards

Gadget

McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 February 09 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scatza

That link takes you direct to the IGI page rather than the general Search page .

Gadget